cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a downside to Combining Credit Cards?

tag
HR530
Established Member

Is there a downside to Combining Credit Cards?

I have two CC. One is a Cap1 Plat. With a $600 limit on it. It's completely paid off and I normally don't use it. Because may second card is a Cap1 QS. With a $3300 limit. And it gives me cash back. My platinum card was opened up in 2011 and my QS in 2014. If I combined my plat. Into my QS will I hurt my score by closing my older card? Or does it still show that account open just combined?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Is there a downside to Combining Credit Cards?

@HR530 wrote:
I have two CC. One is a Cap1 Plat. With a $600 limit on it. It's completely paid off and I normally don't use it. Because may second card is a Cap1 QS. With a $3300 limit. And it gives me cash back. My platinum card was opened up in 2011 and my QS in 2014. If I combined my plat. Into my QS will I hurt my score by closing my older card? Or does it still show that account open just combined?

It may temporarily drop your score by a few points because it would likely look as if your TCL decreased by $600 (so loses points). In turn your QS would increase by $600 (gains points). I don't know how C1 reports this, but this is what happened to me when I rolled my Apple iTunes Visa into my Barclaycard Rewards. As with everything, YMMV.

If you are worried about your AAoA being affected by closing an account, that wouldn't be a problem as the card you close will count toward your AAoA until it falls off of your CR in 10 years. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HR530 wrote:
I have two CC. One is a Cap1 Plat. With a $600 limit on it. It's completely paid off and I normally don't use it. Because may second card is a Cap1 QS. With a $3300 limit. And it gives me cash back. My platinum card was opened up in 2011 and my QS in 2014. If I combined my plat. Into my QS will I hurt my score by closing my older card? [1]   Or does it still show that account open just combined?[2]

[1] It won't hurt your score. Your score might drop based on other factors at play in your credit report.

[2] The account will show closed but will remain on your report for the next few years as a postive account and will be factored into your AAoA.

Message 3 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@HR530 wrote:
I have two CC. One is a Cap1 Plat. With a $600 limit on it. It's completely paid off and I normally don't use it. Because may second card is a Cap1 QS. With a $3300 limit. And it gives me cash back. My platinum card was opened up in 2011 and my QS in 2014. If I combined my plat. Into my QS will I hurt my score by closing my older card? [1]   Or does it still show that account open just combined?[2]

[1] It won't hurt your score. Your score might drop based on other factors at play in your credit report.

[2] The account will show closed but will remain on your report for the next few years as a postive account and will be factored into your AAoA.

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 6
HR530
Established Member

Thank u
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If his utilization drops on one card (due to closing it out and combining it with another) and raises on the other card by the same amount, his overall utilization remains the same so I'm not sure why there would be a score drop based on that.

I could however see a minor score drop due to having only one open revolver instead of two (assuming these are the only 2 you have) but I don't think it would be a huge amount.  If the few points you may lose is a bigger deal to you, I'd say just keep the card open as adding $600 to your other credit line likely isn't going to make all that much of a difference.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.