cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a minimum revolving utilization FICO 8 likes?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Is there a minimum revolving utilization FICO 8 likes?

I just had a devilish thought.

I  have been casting about looking for reasons why, in these dark days, where my revolving utilization has been creeping up

from its usual 0 to 1% numbers to 5%, my FICO 8 scores seem to be strengthening instead of weakening.

And then I came upon this statement on Credit Karma Sesame:

"Creditors and lenders like to see between 5-7% used, as it shows you are responsible."

Can it be that getting utilization up to 5% is a good thing?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

7 REPLIES 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Is there a minimum revolving utilization FICO 8 likes?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I  have been casting about looking for reasons why, in these dark days, where my revolving utilization has been creeping up

from its usual 0 to 1% numbers to 5%, my FICO 8 scores seem to be strengthening instead of weakening.

And then I came upon this statement on Credit Karma:

"Creditors and lenders like to see between 5-7% used, as it shows you are responsible."

SJ -

I have seen this with my VS3 scores and reported on it last year. For me somewhere between 4% and 5% aggregate utilization was optimal. I also ran a series of simulations using the one on CK and presented results in a graph. Graph pasted below.

P.S. For my thin but aged profile my actual VS3 scores top out at 835 - same top score with all three CRAs. EQ used to lag by 2 or 3 points but, I had one INQ on it and 0 on the other CRAs. Yes - EQ did NOT reach parity with TU and EX until the lone INQ aged TWO years. VS3 does count INQs for a full 2 years.

VS3 graph.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

SJ -

I have seen this with my VS3 scores and reported on it last year. For me somewhere between 3.5% and 5% aggregate utilization was optimal. I also ran a series of simulations using the one on CK and presented results in a graph. Graph pasted below.

P.S. For my thin but aged profile my actual VS3 scores top out at 835 - same top score with all three CRAs. EQ used to lag by 2 or 3 points but, I had one INQ on it and 0 on the other CRAs. Yes - EQ did NOT reach parity with TU and EX until the lone INQ aged TWO years. VS3 does count INQs for a full 2 years.

VS3 graph.jpg

Fascinating. So it's a more or less true statement for Vantage 3.0?

But how about FICO? It's my FICO scores that have been showing strength despite (or perhaps because of) increase in revolving utilization from 1% to 5%. Can it be that they too reward 5% utilization?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi TT.  It's curious that the simulator predicts that going from 1% to 4% should result in a steady decline in the score -- then going from 4 to 5% should cause an increase -- then 5 to 12 should result in a steady decrease again.  That seems improbable.   One can imagine that the developers would conceive that 4-5% is optimal, but then there would be an increase from 1 to 4 rather than a decrease.

Did you also see that in your real world data?  Your V3 got worse going from 1 to 4%, then it went up, then from 6 onward it went down again?

Have you ever noticed any significant changes in FICO 8 between 0,1% to 8.99%?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Do you know where it is on Karma's web site that you found that statement?  I am really curious to read more about it.

Message 5 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

My Fico 8 scores have stayed flatlined at 850 regardless of utilization in the 1% to 9% range - never been over 9%. Thus, I have no personal data to offer on this. I do get a monthly EQ Fico 8 bankcard score. In the space I operate (0.5% to 6% aggregate UT), # cards reporting appears to be the only factor influencing my EQ Fico 8 BC score,

Regarding Fico (or VS), if pressed I advise keeping AG UT above zero but under 6% for best results - However, I have no robust Fico score data showing score drops if AG UT is in the 7% to 9% range or 0.5% to 4% range. Although VS3 may have a narrow sweet spot, no need to be overly prescriptive.

Message 6 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Do you know where it is on Karma's web site that you found that statement?  I am really curious to read more about it.

Oops. I misspoke. It was on Credit Sesame, not Credit Karma.

It was in the Credit Usage section of my Credit Score Analysis.

sesame.jpg

Message 7 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi TT.  It's curious that the simulator predicts that going from 1% to 4% should result in a steady decline in the score -- then going from 4 to 5% should cause an increase -- then 5 to 12 should result in a steady decrease again.  That seems improbable.   One can imagine that the developers would conceive that 4-5% is optimal, but then there would be an increase from 1 to 4 rather than a decrease.

Did you also see that in your real world data?  Your V3 got worse going from 1 to 4%, then it went up, then from 6 onward it went down again?

Have you ever noticed any significant changes in FICO 8 between 0,1% to 8.99%?

With CK you used to be able to tease out monthly graphs for utilization as well as score for 6 month, one year and "all" time frames. It appears that I can no longer generate utilization graphs and time scale for score graphs is fixed. In any event, I had the opportunity to experience an 8% and a 9% aggregate utilization with VS3 due to a spike in reported spending on DW's card that I am AU on. Scores did drop to 829 at 9% AG UT and rebounded to 830 at 8% AG UT. More interestingly my lowest scorees seem to be occuring when UT was in the 3% to 4% range. Yes, my scores typically climbed when UT drops to the 0.5% to 1.5% from 2% to 3.5% range as predicted by the TransUnion VS3 simulator offered on CK's web site. My CK and Credit.com VS3 scores peaked at 835 when utilization was in the 4% to 5% range with 5 of 6 cards reporting balances back on 2/8/2016.

By comparison my Fico 04 and Fico 98 scores (3B report) all dropped substantially as shown on a 2/14/2016 report with 6 of 6 cards reporting. Fico 8 Enhanced scored dropped also - just not as much as "mortgage" scores. Again, for my profile, Fico scores are primarily reacting to # cards reporting balances - NOT to minor changes in aggregate utilization.

Reality bites.jpg

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.