cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a percentage of a car loan that has to be paid down to increase your score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a percentage of a car loan that has to be paid down to increase your score?

If it helps his FICO EX mortgage score, and his lender/underwriter looks to the mid score for qualification, and his FICO EX mortgage is his lowest, technically it CAN help in regards to maybe getting his mid score higher.

Lots of "ifs" there, though.  If his FICO EX mortgage is his highest, it won't be any help.  If it's his mid score, it MIGHT help if he's on the cusp of a better midscore qualification.

Message 11 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is there a percentage of a car loan that has to be paid down to increase your score?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Quick note to Heaven and BBS....

Our OP may not understand that you are talking about what happens when the total amount of open debt is paid down, not just one specific loan (he mentions a car).

If the car is his only open installment account, then total open debt is in fact the same as the car loan.  But if he has more than one loan (a car and a mortgage, say) then it won't be.  And indeed (in that case) he could pay the whole car loan to under 9% and get no scoring benefit at all, since he'll only be making a tiny dent in the overall amount.

Yes CreditGuy this is my only loan open. My home is paid for and I am planning on building a home next year and just wanted to know if it would help. Thank you all for your assistance..

IMHO it helps many of your scores -- certainly your FICO 8 -- to have your overall installment loan utilization percentage at 9% or less (but more than zero).

It has mixed effects on your mortgage scores, but it couldn't hurt.

When it costs on the order of 27K to do so, yes, it does hurt one's chances at a mortgage.  Mo cash, mo bettah.

Optimizing for getting a mortgage is more than just optimizing one's FICO score though I agree that's an important part... if the cash spent isn't meaningful then hey, but I suspect 27K is meaningful in this equation since IIRC the home purchase price was on the order of 600k.  As ABCD points out it's sort of moot not knowing where the OP stands today on his mortgage scores anyway when we're talking FICO optmization too.

        
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Our OP may not understand that you are talking about what happens when the total amount of open debt is paid down, not just one specific loan (he mentions a car).

If the car is his only open installment account, then total open debt is in fact the same as the car loan.  But if he has more than one loan (a car and a mortgage, say) then it won't be.  And indeed (in that case) he could pay the whole car loan to under 9% and get no scoring benefit at all, since he'll only be making a tiny dent in the overall amount.

Yes CreditGuy this is my only loan open. My home is paid for and I am planning on building a home next year and just wanted to know if it would help. Thank you all for your assistance..

IMHO it helps many of your scores -- certainly your FICO 8 -- to have your overall installment loan utilization percentage at 9% or less (but more than zero).

When it costs on the order of 27K to do so, yes, it does hurt one's chances at a mortgage.  Mo cash, mo bettah.

Optimizing for getting a mortgage is more than just optimizing one's FICO score though I agree that's an important part... if the cash spent isn't meaningful then hey, but I suspect 27K is meaningful in this equation since IIRC the home purchase price was on the order of 600k.  As ABCD points out it's sort of moot not knowing where the OP stands today on his mortgage scores anyway when we're talking FICO optmization too.

If the mortgage scores are the ones on this board I am a 

Experian 816

Transunion 773

Equifax       767

Message 13 of 17
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian 816

Transunion 773

Equifax       767

Apply with confidence, if DTI clears and if you have easily documentable income, it will be an easy underwrite.  740 is basically the top tier for mortgages, 760 is top tier for PMI rates if you need that, but shouldn't on most lender's jumbo products anyway.

        
Message 14 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian 816

Transunion 773

Equifax       767

If you're referring to your FICO 8 scores, no those aren't the mortgage scores.

If you pull your 3B report, the mortgage scores are the EQ FICO 5, TU FICO 4, and EX FICO 2.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian 816

Transunion 773

Equifax       767

If you pull your 3B report, the mortgage scores are the EQ FICO 5, TU FICO 4, and EX FICO 2.

Thats what all 3 scores are from....

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Thats what all 3 scores are from....

Hello AMX.  The problem is, the myFICO 3B report contains both your three FICO 8 scores and your three FICO mortgage scores.  So telling us that the three scores you've quoted are from the 3B report doesn't tell us which of those two they are.  (FICO 8 or FICO mortgage.)

Let us know if you need help figuring that out.  The FICO 8 scores will say "FICO Score 8" underneath each one and will be at the top of your report.  These are not the ones you want.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.