Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to delete a bad account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to delete a bad account?

While in college (4 years ago), I totally ruined my credit by overusing by credit cards to a point where I could not pay them.  Shortly after graduating and after numerous phonecalls from the credit card companies and one collections agency I paid everything off.  All of those credit cards are closed and I now have three credit cards all in excellent standing.  My credit score has gone up slowly over the past four years to now a 670 (whoohoo).  How long will these bad accounts stay on my credit report?  And if so is there a way to get these bad closed accounts off my credit report?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a way to delete a bad account?

As to how long they stay... they stay for seven years.
I don't know how to delete them. I waited for them to expire.

(I charged textbooks. I considered it an emergency. So foolish. I should have gotten an additional loan.)
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can send a good will letter to the lender to request that they remove them. Search "Good Will" and "GW letter". Other wise 7 years.
Message 3 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Trock, welcome to the forums. Please read credit scoring 101 and the Terms of Service Agreement. The only way that we encourage members to have legitimate items removed from their CRs, is by way of GW. We don't encourage members to dispute valid derogatory items, as this violates our TOS. I encourage you to read, read, read and learn as much as you can about your credit. There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, so please take advantage of it. GL on your journey.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Divorcedcapone, in view of Byrd's caution, I would never suggest any way to get a legit derog removed from your CR, other than through a GW letter.  But I can't resist the obvious tease....!
Perhaps spelling out your name, "Capone,"  in large print, and with caps, in a GW letter would expedite favorable consideration of their good will??? 
Maybe it would be an offer that they could not refuse?
ROFL!!!!!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-21-2008 09:35 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-21-2008 09:37 PM

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-21-2008 09:38 PM
Message 5 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Robert, capone is CapOne. He divorced Capital One. Thus the screen name. He is not a gangster.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG-- I hadn't considered using the capone in a GW letter before. LOL!
Sorry I should've capitalized! Seeing your post made me
laugh this morning..
Message 7 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I hurd tings Joey...I don't know, I just hurd tings...
Message 8 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am thinking about changing my name to RobertSoprano to spread the "goodwill" impact in the future!
Message 9 of 14
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Do it Robert, except it should be RobbySaprano.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.