cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to remover "Derogatory public record or collection filed"?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any way to remover "Derogatory public record or collection filed"?

Hello. I have a question that I am asking on behalf of my girlfriend. Prior to being with me, she was in a long term (5+ years) relationship. She left him due to him being emotionally (and at times, physically) abusive. About a year ago, she found out that he had being putting charges on a credit card that also had her name on it and had not been paying the card. She was unaware that he had the card. She suspects that he opened the account using her information withouth her knowledge, but she can't prove it. It was not a huge amount (about $200). The credit card company was unable to contact her; however, they eventually sent it to collections and they tracked down her new address and got in contact with her. She was able to pay off the debt for about $120; however, it is negatively affecting her credit score as it shows "Derogatory public record or collection filed". Given the circumstances, is there anything she can do to have that notation removed from her credit report? Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there any way to remover "Derogatory public record or collection filed"?

I'd dispute it under the ID Theft clause of the FCRA

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.