Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything more ridiculous?

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: Is there anything more ridiculous?

If you're about to get a jaywalking ticket just run past the nearest donut shop, that will distract them long enough for you to abscond from the scene of the crime...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 11 of 18
Riemi87
Established Member

Personally I do not. However, a friend has "Failure to return library books." Not only did it add a collection account but he found out when a police officer pulled him over and he spent a night in jail.

Message 12 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@JonStur wrote:

If you're about to get a jaywalking ticket just run past the nearest donut shop, that will distract them long enough for you to abscond from the scene of the crime...

Lol

Message 13 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

How much was the jaywalking fine ??  I've seen places where this can be a ridiculous fine, like ~$200  Cat Frustrated

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 18
sr383
Regular Contributor

It was $48, as I recall. Totally trivial, but those are the most dangerous ones, because they're the easiest to ignore. Smiley Tongue

I learned my lesson, though. Since then, any unexpected bill gets immediate payment (as long as it's really mine). $15 for a tollway I happened to use while passing through Colorado? Where's my wallet? I'm not going to have something like that haunting me for seven years. ...

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 15 of 18
urbex
Established Member

Heh...I got a parking ticket two weeks ago...for parking in front of my own freaking house...complete BS ticket, but it was only $32.  I briefly considered fighting it, but then I remembered a "fix-it" ticket I got many years ago for a broken headlight in Detroit (because I've been questioned on it before - Michigan, and many other states will issue what's unofficially referred to as a "fix it" citation for faulty equipment on a vehicle - broken/burnt out lights, broken/cracked windshield, loud exhaust, etc that you have X number of days to fix.  Fix it in the alloted time, then have an officer sign off as verification that it's been fixed, and the ticket goes away with no fine).

Long story short, I put it off for a while, forgot about it, and a few months later the no cost ticket turned into almost $400 worth of fines and fees, default judgement, and a suspended license that I didn't know about until I was pulled over months later and arrested on.  Tack on another $500 for a driving while license suspended citation+court costs, $200 for vehicle impound/storage, $125 to the state to reinstate my license, and $1000 Driver's Responsibility fee to the state of Michigan. 

Over $2000 for a $10 head light bulb (plus a night in jail), all because I put it off "until next week" because it was such a "trivial" thing, lol.  Lesson learned Smiley Very Happy  You can bet that my wallet whipped out in a hurry when I got that parking ticket, lol. 

Message 16 of 18
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

a hard lesson, indeed.  Sometimes we adults take a while to get our s**t together!

Those trivial tickets are the worst, for exactly the reasons stated!

Message 17 of 18
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@urbex..

OUCH!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.