cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to online dispute inquiries?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Is there anyway to online dispute inquiries?

Hi, welcome to the forums!

I wish they were, but Chase in infamous for pulling hard inqs for CLI's. Smiley Mad

Different banks do this different ways: Chase does, Bank of America usually doesn't, American Express usually doesn't, Citi goes either way, etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 41
wayne6372
Valued Member

Yes there is with Equifax. But with transunion they will blow you off with stall tactics, and with experian they will want you to place a fraud alert on your file. Equifax will allow you to dispute the inquiry by giving you 2 options.One being unauthorized and 2nd fraudulent. On April 16, 2009 I disputed 11 inquiries as un authorized and on April 18, 2009 11 inquiries were deleted to my surprise. I have gone on to dispute others today 04/18/09 hopefully getting the same great results. To my knowledge it is our right to dispute any negative information in our reports and must be investigated or deleted. My next step is to file a suit in my small claims court with transunion and experian. Each claim is worth a $ 1000.00. I will only do this after a second attempt by certified mail to the bureas.Hopefully they will be disputed as request by me and in accordance with the FCRA.
Message 22 of 41
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

wayne6372 wrote:
To my knowledge it is our right to dispute any negative information in our reports and must be investigated or deleted.

It is your right to dispute any negative inaccurate information in your reports....If these inquiries are yours, and you know it, it is unethical and illegal to dispute these inquiries.

Disputing inquiries are a fast means to a FA and/or deleted, associated TLs. If these aren't your inquiries, then you'd want the FA placed. You would also want to file a police report for ID theft, contact the FTC and file with them, and eventually use the police report to dispute the inquiries and any associated TLs.

Message 23 of 41
wayne6372
Valued Member

I know for a fact some of these inquiries were not autorized but they are also old inquiries from time . Transunion nor experian will dispute these inquiries as i have asked> i have also sent letters o the creditors, but no response well over 30 days. capital one was very complient gave them my info and the research showed no records on there files.They are now sending letters to the bureas as well as me to remove these 2 inquiries.Direct tv shows a autorized inquiry and keeps giving me the number to equifax, when this inquiry shows on my experian report.Will having some of these inquiries removed from my reports help my scores go up soon.? also had a judgement remove from 2 agencies and a collection account remove from the big 3. Will this help as well?

Message 24 of 41
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, wayne, you have revived an old thread and taken it in a different direction. Now that you have an actual question about negative info on your own reports, can you copy/paste your post onto a new thread over on Rebuilding Your Credit?

Just move over to the Rebuilding Forums, click "New Message" on the left toward the top, and paste your message there. Create a new title for what you're actually trying to do. You're probably going to find more help over there from members familiar with what you're going through.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 41
wayne6372
Valued Member

Yes with equifax, you can now dispute inquiries on line at there site. transunion and experian I have no sucess from them .
Message 26 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are inquiries suppose to be removed after one year?

I have Comcast Cable and ATT from a new cell phone that are both showing as inquiries from over a year ago.  Should I write to the credit bureaus or to the companies to have them removed?

Thanks.

C

Message 27 of 41
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are inquiries suppose to be removed after one year?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have Comcast Cable and ATT from a new cell phone that are both showing as inquiries from over a year ago.  Should I write to the credit bureaus or to the companies to have them removed?

Thanks.

C

Inquiries report for 2 years. Despite reporting, FICO only scores them if a year old or less.

Message 28 of 41
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Here is my legal understanding of the credit inquiry process.

When anyone requests your CR, they must provide to the CRA a certification of the reason for the inquiry, and certify that the information will be used for no other purpose.  FCRA 607(a).  The FCRA never mentions the terms "hard" or "soft" pull.  If the requeted reason meets any of the "permissible purposes" set forth in FCRA 604((a), and the requester has made a certification of this, they the requestor is provided access to our full CR.  The only exception to that is if the stated reason is for making you a so-called "promotional" offer for credit that does not certify that y0ou currently have a business relationship. FCRA 604(c)(2).  Those types of inquirees don get your ful CR.  Just your name and sddress.

So the CRAs rely on the certifiction of a permissible purpose, which provided by self-certfication of the inquiree.  If you dispute this with the CRA, the fault, if the certification was not correct or was false, is with the inquiree, not the CRA,  So CRAs arent very receptive of such disputes.

As for how these inquiries are handled by FICO, they must rely on the inquiry codes reported the inquirees to make their determination of whether to treat it as a so-called "hard" of "soft" inquiry in their reporting.  There are approx 12 different rinquiry codes availble for recording the reason for the inquiry.  That depends on the accuracy of the inquiry code provided by the inquiree. 
Take, for example, the failure of FICO scoring to only count multiple inquires for auto/mortage loas with a window as a single inquiry.  The problem was most likely . because each inquiree did not properly code their inquiry with a code that FICO recognizes as having been for that purpose. 

Inquiry codes, and soft and hard pull categorization, are not regulated under the FCRA, and thus are not, by themselves, a subject of dispute.

Disputing an inquiry showing in your CR would probably, in my opinion, require you to file a dispute under FCRA 611(a), challenging the accuracy of their seft-certification of the reason for the inquiry.  that was provded to the CRA under FCRA 607(a).  Since that basic documentation is only retained in your credit file, and is not provided in your CR, that would be most difficult to do. 

The best way, in my opinion, to deal with credit inquiries is to first order your full credit report from annualcreditreport.com  That is the only CR that know of that lists the reason codes for your inquires.  If you see one that is incorrect, I was first contact the party who made the inquiry, and ask them to update their prior reporting with the CRAs..

Usually, by the time you go through all of that, the one-year scoring parameter used by FICO will most likely either have expired, or is close to expiring.  So little or nothing is gained.

Message 29 of 41
wayne6372
Valued Member

Your right it is  a lot of work to have them removed , but it is helpful if there are under a year old.So they still effecting a score.The credit bureas wont dispute them at all anymore unless a police report is filed for fraudulent ones.Also I have gained a lot of suceess using the BBB and attorney general office to have negatives removed that were in accurate for me and some friends.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.