cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam? My FICO went from 678 to 818 and in less than 2 hours is back to 678

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a scam? My FICO went from 678 to 818 and in less than 2 hours is back to 678

I received an email saying my FICO had an alert - the alert was that I exceeded my target - My FICO went from 678 to 818! I was so excited because I've been working so hard to fix my credit that I actually called my parents to tell them the good news that all my past screw ups were finally starting to go away.  How embarrassing - I end up paying again...after already paying monthly for this service, pay for the 30 % discount to get my FICO again (which I still don't understand why I pay monthly and then still have to pay extra again), anyway, I spend money on this site for the product and now my score is back to 678.  What is the point in it if it is going to send me an alert that I'm doing great, and then less than 2 hours later tell me my FICO score is still rated as "good," which to me is the same as saying it is horrible.  I give up!  If somebody out there can explain to me what I obviously do not understand, it would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading my post.   

Regards, CrazyDiamond email: "Mod Cut"

Please don't post personal information, such as email addresses in the public forums.Lightnin,myFICO moderator

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is this a scam? My FICO went from 678 to 818 and in less than 2 hours is back to 678

Did you dispute anything?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is this a scam? My FICO went from 678 to 818 and in less than 2 hours is back to 678

The only disputes on any of the credit entries are disputes that have been on the report for quite some time.  I do not believe that it was any of those that caused it.  And, if so, that sure is a big jump in score.  However, like I said, I do not believe that is what caused it.  When I looked at the report, nothing changed, it was just the usual entry that they always report that should not be on there. 

Message 3 of 8
GregB
Valued Contributor

A big jump in score is an understatement as 818 is the highest possible score on that specific EQ FICO version. I assume there is something that temporarily calculated an erroneous score and that triggered an alert.

I don't understand why you would pay for a report instead of just looking at the alert. Did SW show your current score as 818 before you pulled the report?

I would post your concern in myFICO Product Feedback Forum and they will figure it out. They will likely give you another free report to use later if an error caused you to spend money for another report.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly, that is why I freaked out when I saw the 818.  It was 818, then down at the bottom of the FICO thing there is a deal that always says "purchase FICO for 30% off" or something like that.  I figured I had to purchase it so it would update the score.  I have like an expiration date thing down by the score - it says like view .....until September 17 or whatever the date may be.  I did send an email to the FICO people through an option under my account information.  I have not heard back just yet.

Message 5 of 8
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If you pulled the respective credit reports of the two scores, a comparison will show whether you have a split file. Searching the forum archives will tell you what a split file is.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I will check it out now.  I appreciate everybody's responses.

Message 7 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly, that is why I freaked out when I saw the 818.  It was 818, then down at the bottom of the FICO thing there is a deal that always says "purchase FICO for 30% off" or something like that.  I figured I had to purchase it so it would update the score.  I have like an expiration date thing down by the score - it says like view .....until September 17 or whatever the date may be.  I did send an email to the FICO people through an option under my account information.  I have not heard back just yet.

Scorewatch keeps you up to date on your score but doesn't give you a new report with score every time your score changes.  If you want the new report with the new score, you have to purchase it if you have already used up your free reports.  That is why that link is there. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.