Blogger

Is total balance a FICO scoring factor?

[ Edited ]

It seems to be general consensus that utilization ratio is a factor, while total credit limit is not. What about total balance? Is there a difference in scores between someone who has $10k total balance on a total $100k limit and someone else who has $1k total balance on $10k total limit, everything else equal? 

Epic Contributor

Re: Is total balance a FICO scoring factor?

Total credit limit is not scored by FICO but it is a factor in determining your utilization.  Individual and overall.  So is total balance and individual balance.

On the one with a total of $100K limit their overall utilization would be 10% whereas the one with the 10K limit would also be 10% but on that card alone, if I am reading your question correctly.   You would need the total limits and balances to figure overall.

Blogger

Yup I meant 10% total utilization in both cases.

Epic Contributor

Regular Contributor

They should be scored the same, but will look quite a bit different in manual review, and maybe in automated systems, since my guess is that income, credit usage, and history will look considerable different.  It's hard to imagine a 10x difference in CL without the other factors being different.

I understand this is an academic exercise.  It's just hard for me to believe that all else *could* be equal in the two profiles.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.