Blogger
HiLine

Is total balance a FICO scoring factor?

[ Edited ]

It seems to be general consensus that utilization ratio is a factor, while total credit limit is not. What about total balance? Is there a difference in scores between someone who has $10k total balance on a total $100k limit and someone else who has $1k total balance on $10k total limit, everything else equal? 

guiness56

Re: Is total balance a FICO scoring factor?

Total credit limit is not scored by FICO but it is a factor in determining your utilization.  Individual and overall.  So is total balance and individual balance.

On the one with a total of $100K limit their overall utilization would be 10% whereas the one with the 10K limit would also be 10% but on that card alone, if I am reading your question correctly.   You would need the total limits and balances to figure overall.

Blogger
HiLine

Yup I meant 10% total utilization in both cases.

guiness56

Regular Contributor
bluescale

They should be scored the same, but will look quite a bit different in manual review, and maybe in automated systems, since my guess is that income, credit usage, and history will look considerable different.  It's hard to imagine a 10x difference in CL without the other factors being different.

I understand this is an academic exercise.  It's just hard for me to believe that all else *could* be equal in the two profiles.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}