cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is util. based on overall limit or indiv. card?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Is util. based on overall limit or indiv. card?

@user5387 wrote:

@avggoal700 wrote:

@user5387 wrote:

(1)  overall utilization

(2)  maxed out cards

(3)  individual card utilization

(4)  proportion of cards with reported balances

On #2, what % is considered maxed out?  

Various threads cite figures in the 70-90% range.

FICO scoring divides people into categories, and it's possible that the definition of "maxed out" varies with the bucket you're in.

Also, I expect it's fallacious to assume that if maxed out starts at N %, then a utilization of N-1 % means you're in the clover.

FICO scoring models are based on heavy crunching of actual reports, rather than people plucking magic numbers out of the air.

It is different depending on the profile / scoring bucket, and your score isn't going to shoot way up just by going from maxed out to just under maxed out, but there are sort of "magic numbers" used.  There are specific percentages that can be hit that, if monitoring scores regularly, a FICO score change can be noticed.  For my profile, 10% overall utilization is one of these thresholds.  Just above or just below that is a difference of 5 points on my EQ profile.   But going from 11% to 15% or from 9% to 3% does not give me a change.  There are other precentages that are also treated like this, but I do not think they are the same for everyone, based on reports from others.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 12
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: Is util. based on overall limit or indiv. card?

@user5387 wrote:

(1)  overall utilization

(2)  maxed out cards

(3)  individual card utilization

(4)  proportion of cards with reported balances

This has been interesting for me to watch for the last few months. Util at 33% ->30%-20%. Also one card maxed at 95 (BT/0%) -> 80% >70%. Then lastly both card reporting balance to only one card reporting a balance.  Since I only have two CC's reporting right now, I can tell which has what effect. I think it will be more difficult when I add one or two more.  

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.