Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgements and fico scores?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Judgements and fico scores?

how long after a judgement does it hit the CR?

are the CBs good about recognizing /picking up granted motion to vacates, how long before CBs delete?

what effect does a judgement have on fico? how many points do you lose if you have an average credit file?

does fico take into account the type of debt/litigation? amount? in scoring a judgement?

are any of the CRAs noticibly different in scoring judgements? (those who may have had 1 judgement with each of the CRAs might be able to answer this)

Message Edited by CreditDrama85 on 05-02-2009 10:06 AM
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgements and fico scores?

There is not a specific time frame for a public record being reported.  In fact, it is possible that it not show up, or not show up for quite some time (and after you got used to it not showing up Smiley Sad )

No, the CRA's are probably not going to connect any order to vacate.  You will have to send those documents to the CRA's with dispute.

All public records are murder on FICO, but there isn't a set number of points it affects.  It is a weighted and dynamic system which the combination of many factors causes many outcomes.

FICO will not take into account the debt type or amount of the judgement, just that you have a derogatory public record.  However, if that account is reflected also in your "Accounts" section with lates, charge off, etc. the amount and nature of derogs will affect your FICO and CR more or less potentially.

All CRA's have a slightly differnt "flavor" of FICO and so yes, you will find that you do not get an exact matching FICO result across the three CRA's.  However, public records are BAD on all.

Basically you will get dinged for the public record judgement, then you will get your dings for the lates and charge offs if the account was separately reported as an account prior to judgement, plus if you had it with a collection company also, this is additional dings which Collections are the worst after Bankruptcy, Liens & Judgements.  So it would be possible to have a derogatory Tradeline account & charge off, a collection account and then finally a judement for the account.  All would have negative consequences.

Message 2 of 4
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

thanks for the info
Message 3 of 4
rom828
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is not a specific time frame for a public record being reported.  In fact, it is possible that it not show up, or not show up for quite some time (and after you got used to it not showing up Smiley Sad )

All public records are murder on FICO, but there isn't a set number of points it affects.  It is a weighted and dynamic system which the combination of many factors causes many outcomes.

FICO will not take into account the debt type or amount of the judgement, just that you have a derogatory public record.  However, if that account is reflected also in your "Accounts" section with lates, charge off, etc. the amount and nature of derogs will affect your FICO and CR more or less potentially.

All CRA's have a slightly differnt "flavor" of FICO and so yes, you will find that you do not get an exact matching FICO result across the three CRA's.  However, public records are BAD on all.

So right about the reporting.  I had a 1998 state tax lien show up on my report in 2005 as paid in 2004. it ws not on my reports previously! I've written about it on other post so won't belabor the point here, but tried to dispute as had no records of the  1998 lien or any payment...no offset from return or anything, but it was in courthouse records (not sure why I never got a notice and still dont know how it was considered paid!) and no help with State getting anything corrected or removed so I'm stuck with it.Smiley Sad

But to clarify, you're saying all PRs are the same for FICO scoring?  Doesn't matter paid or unpaid,  judgement or tax lien, a PR is a PR??  This has been my understanding and it seems it's what you are saying also.

For credit card underwriting, though, my experience is that  PRs are treated differently according to the rules of the particular CCC.  I've read posts where apps  were denied due to PR (for judgement),  yet I was approved in April of last year for Amex and Discover and in October for Juniper.  Also got car loan in Nov and re-fi in March and the PR wasnt an issue. 

But I know FICO will rebucket me when the PR falls off in 2011,  and I'm not sure what that will mean to me in the way of scores.  I also have a CO falling off 06-10.  This CO and the PR  are my only baddies.   Does FICO rebucket for PR only, or  will I stay in my same bucket til both the CO and the PR come off??   I've read posts of scores plummeting after rebucketing so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do whatever I can to minimize the damage!!

Message Edited by rom828 on 05-07-2009 10:16 AM
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.