Did you mean: 

Just a feeling...

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Just a feeling...

Verbatim quote from my Experian Plus FAKO Score Report as of today:

"This has a positive affect on your credit score"

Didn't their programmers pay attention during fifth grade?
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Just a feeling...

DW is Korean amd that is one of the reasons it was hard for to learn English since we use the wrong word a lot but everyone who speaks English knows what we mean.

I am a programmer and yes I dont spell or use English very well.  Lucky for me Actionscript 3 is not very forgiving on spelling mistakes.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

MattH wrote:
Verbatim quote from my Experian Plus FAKO Score Report as of today:

"This has a positive affect on your credit score"

Didn't their programmers pay attention during fifth grade?

Grammar Police avatarSmiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
DW is Korean amd that is one of the reasons it was hard for to learn English since we use the wrong word a lot but everyone who speaks English knows what we mean.
I am a programmer and yes I dont spell or use English very well. Lucky for me Actionscript 3 is not very forgiving on spelling mistakes.

Actually, this mistake by somebody at Experian was neither a spelling mistake nor a grammar mistake, it was a usage mistake -- the wrong word was used. Oddly enough, immigrants like your DW rarely mix up "effect" and "affect" very often, this is an error usually made by people who grew up in an English-speaking country and should know better. In grad school I once had a roommate from Hong Kong who regularly complained about such errors made by lazy Americans.
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 4 of 5
MattH
Senior Contributor

Also I was making a somewhat technical pun with my title because I am in drug discovery and work with people in the Neuroscience field -- in addition to the normal use of "effect" and "affect," in Psychiatry "affect" means approximately what in ordinary parlance would be called a person's "mood" or "feelings." So a "positive affect" means an upbeat mood. In my work we speak of depression or bipolar diseases as "affective disorders."

Message Edited by MattH on 07-29-2008 09:41 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.