Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a word of warning about errors on your reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a word of warning about errors on your reports

So today, after buying the three reports on here, I go through our reports and see errors.  Last year, we also bought ONE credit report (Equifax) and saw the error and fixed it by simply calling the company, verifying the error and having them remove it (in this case it was a student loan consolidation where we consolidated 11 loans into one but two for some reason weren't cleared).  Anyway, those two were promptly removed from Equifax and I was pleased it went smoothly.

However, in my naivite, I assumed the company would take care of ALL THREE credit bureaus and they did not!  So this year, there they are, still out there, showing up as loans (not past due, just hanging around).  We called and asked them to remove it and for some reason it's different this time.  Now, they will send reports to our home and then we send in with a dispute form the information.  So my question is WHY is it different this time?  And why didn't they remove the error from all three last time? 

So word of advice; get all three credit reports.  You never know!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just a word of warning about errors on your reports

You have to correct errors with each company. And usually it has to happen in written form. I never heard about doing that at the phone.
Message 2 of 3
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just a word of warning about errors on your reports

@Anonymous wrote:
So today, after buying the three reports on here, I go through our reports and see errors. Last year, we also bought ONE credit report (Equifax) and saw the error and fixed it by simply calling the company, verifying the error and having them remove it (in this case it was a student loan consolidation where we consolidated 11 loans into one but two for some reason weren't cleared). Anyway, those two were promptly removed from Equifax and I was pleased it went smoothly.
However, in my naivite, I assumed the company would take care of ALL THREE credit bureaus and they did not! So this year, there they are, still out there, showing up as loans (not past due, just hanging around). We called and asked them to remove it and for some reason it's different this time. Now, they will send reports to our home and then we send in with a dispute form the information. So my question is WHY is it different this time? And why didn't they remove the error from all three last time?
So word of advice; get all three credit reports. You never know!

The only time the credit bureaus seem to communicate with each other is when there is a potential identity theft situation. If you call one credit bureau and alert to a possible security issue, then they automatically pass it on to the others. This definitely happened for me on at least one occasion.

When it comes to information contained in the credit reports, each CRA is responsible for maintaining that information. And they might report the same information a little differently. For my student loans that are now consolidated, EQ labels them as "paid", EX says "closed", and TU says "refinanced".

Sometimes one CRA will have erroneous information that does not appear on the reports from the other CRAs. I had a fraudulent Verizon account that appeared only on EQ.

Since it sounds like that all 3 CRAs had them same incorrect information, then I suspect that the error arose from the bank/company that held the original student loans. If that is the case, then correcting things with the CRA will only be a temporary fix, because the student loan companies will continue to report the accounts as open until you fix it with them, in which case they could reappear on your credit report again in the future.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.