Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just consolidated all credit card debt into new mortgage

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Just consolidated all credit card debt into new mortgage

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
Considering the fact that neither one of you know the specifics of this cash out re-fi (due to the provision of insufficient details) I find your comments hypercritical. I am sure the OP feels a tremendous sense of relief. The psychic benefit alone may be worth it. Excess worry and financial pressures are life attenuators.

Not being hypercritical at all. Just stating facts as I see them. This is the how much is my monthly payment box.

Message 11 of 18
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
If I have a $40K mortgage on a $200K item of real property and $20K worth of medical bills I was forced to put on my CC's and need to get off and it otherwise makes sense to do a re-fi I am going to do it and it would be a good move. One size does not fit all!
I never said that one size fits all. I very explicitly stated that everyone's situation is different, but that it is rarely a good idea to convert unsecured debt into secured debt. I am not sure why you got all worked up over this. Why you think that makes me (or smallfry) a hypocrite is unclear to me. Neither of us has written anything that runs counter to what we have said or done.We obviously disagree on this issue and that is ok.

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 12 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

As someone who was in CC debt for over 20 years, I can say the a quick fix like rolling CC debt into a mortgage would have made it worse for me.  The reason that the odds are against people who do this is that they dont modify their behaviour when it comes to credit cards.

My 5 year stint in DMP forced me to change my habits and even though I am CC debt free today, I still sometimes feel the temptation to revolve a balance.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the poster is better served by hearing the warnings, even if they are unfounded in this particular case. If CC useage is curtailed and the principal is paid down much quicker than scheduled then this is a pro. On this board many things can be taken the wrong way but it is often given by a poster genuinely concerned for another and many times from someone who has lived a particular mistake themself.
Message 14 of 18
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

As someone who was in CC debt for over 20 years, I can say the a quick fix like rolling CC debt into a mortgage would have made it worse for me.  The reason that the odds are against people who do this is that they dont modify their behaviour when it comes to credit cards.

My 5 year stint in DMP forced me to change my habits and even though I am CC debt free today, I still sometimes feel the temptation to revolve a balance.

Well, I accidentally carried a small balance recently: when intending to pay all my cards in full as usual I paid a little less than the balance due to one company and thus paid a finance charge of 61 cents. Fortunately for me this card has a minimum finance charge when there is a balance of 50 cents; some of my others would have charged me a dollar for this. 

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I must disagree with many of the posted replies in this thread.

One thread stated that OP now faces 30 year payoff vs. 2-3 years?  People carrying balances on CC's, especially if the rates went up significantly are facing substantially longer pay offs than 2-3 years and at much higher rates, exacerbating the cash flow problem.

If OP rolls debt into a good APR, say 5 to 5.5%, there is nothing that forces OP to pay off the CC debt portion over 30 years.  OP has the ability to pay more in principal and only incur the lower APR.

OP also has the stability of knowing the rates and month to month obligations will not vary, which is not the case with CC's.

OP may over time recoup some of the cost of the refi if his home value appreciates in the long term.  Therefore the combined paydown under lower APR with appreciation of value help OP position.

YES, yes, yes, there is a risk associated with running up new CC debt.  Thus, OP you have been aptly warned against such.  But in the event that you do not incur new CC debt, live within your means, pay your APR savings toward CC debt, and continue to pay what you would have paid on the CC debt toward the mortgage, then you are gaining ground faster than paying under the CC's.

Many financial planner will advice to consolidate loans at lower rates in order to facilitate a manageable cash flow.  Especially when the plan includes accelerated pay down at the lower APR.  Financial planners advise against this when the individual is not likely to avoid new debt or does not follow a financial budget/plan.

Therefore I applaud anyone who restructures debt at lower fixed rates, sticks to aggressive payoff of that debt while avoiding new debt.

The risks are known to OP.  Then again, those same risks are also somewhat the same even without the refi in the instance that OP were to obtain additional credit, CLI's, etc. and run up new debt.  Those debts still affect the mortgage by making it harder to pay the mortgage payment and by eating up discretionary income in the form of higher APR rates, meaning less savings put in reserve.

I don't agree with straight line veto on rolling secured to secured in all cases.  If the home is being used as an ATM to support the overextension lifestyle, then bad idea.  But if used as a tool to restructure and overcome debt, then it can be a great tool.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditwherecreditisdue wrote hypercritical.  Not hypocritical.

Message 17 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Creditwherecreditisdue wrote hypercritical.  Not hypocritical.

Thank you for your careful reading. Kudos.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.