cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping utilization low - Does it matter unless you are apping for new credit?

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Keeping utilization low - Does it matter unless you are apping for new credit?

I see several threads where people worry about score drops when they have a one-off month of above average spending.  Do you really need to keep your utilization low, month after month, or do you only need to keep it low if you are applying for new credit? 

Let's say I am at 9% utilization and then I jump to 80% utilization.  If I stay at 80% for several months, and then drop back to 9%, all else being equal, won't I see the same score as I had previously.  Is there any memory to my credit score or file?  Is a creditor able to tell that I was previously at 80%?

Is the worry that if your utilization spikes, one of your creditors may take adverse action, such as lowering your credit limit so that afterward you are in a position where it is harder to keep your utilization low?  

Are there any other concerns?  For example, even if my report doesn't have any memory, do individual creditors internal files show that I was high for several months?Because in the absence of some memory to the report, it seems that some of the worrying about score, just for score's sake, are unwarranted.  I have a couple cards that were closed that I am nearly finished paying off.  As for my open cards, I now PIF every month, but I don't bother making payments before the statement cuts in order to manipulate utilization.  I am, however, hoping to apply for a mortgage late next year.  My plan was to start controlling utilization so it stays below 10% a few months before I plan to apply for the mortgage.  But should I be controlling it all year.  From now until the end of the year, will I see greater score improvement if I keep it low, or does the score only depend on what it is at the time the report is pulled?

Thanks in advance.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Keeping utilization low - Does it matter unless you are apping for new credit?

No there is not a memory as far as scoring but my main concern would be that one or more of your present creditors might see that 80% utilization one month and get nervous about your financial situation and start some type of AA (Adverse Action) such as credit limit decrease, account closure, etc.

That's why IMO it's always better whenever possible to always keep your utilization low each and every month.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Keeping utilization low - Does it matter unless you are apping for new credit?

Aside from the AA (happened to many of us due to high util), it's always good to get into the practice of low util. Aside from possible interest savings, it can be difficult to go from 80% to less than 10% in a single month. Also, reporting isn't immediate. It can take up to a month for the CCC to update. If you're in a situation where you need to bring balances down right away, you'll have to wait until everything updates.

Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Understood.  80% was meant only as an example.  Although for me, that wouldn't be hard because I only have one open credit card right now and one charge card.  The limit for the CC is only $2500.  I mainly run things through the Amex charge card, which as I understand isn't considered for utilization (for the most part anyway, maybe there were some situations where it is considered).  In any event it isn't relevant for my specific situation.  My utilization is around 20% right now.  It would simply be a matter of mking a payment before statement cuts for me to bring it below 10%.  But I haven't bothered doing that because I'm not looking for new credit.  I just wanted to make sure that when I needed to try to maximize my score, at least as far as utilization is concerned, I simply needed to start making the extra payment (or spending less on the credit card) to bring the utilization down.  And that I wouldn't get any benefit for successively keeping it below 10%, i.e, no extra points for 6 months below 10% or 12 months below 10%, etc.  

And I do understand that there is a lag time for reporting to update. 

Thank you very much for the prompt responses.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

> Is there any memory to my credit score or file?

Well there is high balance which means the most you've charged on that card and yes they can see this.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.