Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINE OF CREDIT AMOUNT IN REALTION TO FICO SCORE

tag
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: LINE OF CREDIT AMOUNT IN REALTION TO FICO SCORE

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for any misunderstanding, buddy!  I meant just the literal sense of what I said:

Individual lines can report much higher than 10% with no scoring impact, as long as your total U is low.

Didn't mean to suggest that individual lines could report very high with no scoring impact.  Just that the place where this begins to have an impact is much higher than 10%.  A number of people who are very skilled in the testing game have tried raising individual lines above even 55% with no discernable effect.  On the other hand there was a veteran tester who seemed find a very definite advantage when he got below 49%.  This one factor may be very scorecard dependent.

Because of that my personal approach is to strive for < 49% in general on individual lines (though one month I did choose to push one card up to 92% since there was a financial advantage in doing so).  And if I had a crucial credit pull I am sure I'd make sure that every line was under 29% with several $0 balances etc. -- but in truth that 29% number would just be based on covering every conceivable base, rather than any firm evidence that < 29% helps in any way.

If a person is new to credit (like our OP may be) with no much of a history of using multiple cards, a profile only a few years old, etc. -- then I would advise that person to never let a single card go as high as I did that one month (92%) since it might spook one of his new creditors. 

I was not trying to call you out, I just wanted to point out that both individual and overall utilization is in the scoring model as is number of accounts reporting. If the OP is not actively applying for credit, utilization only matters if high enough to trigger AA.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: LINE OF CREDIT AMOUNT IN REALTION TO FICO SCORE

Yup, Sarge, you are definitely right.  Individual util does indeed matter, at least when it gets high. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.