Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late Payment

i apparently missed by care credit care payment date by 4 days.  they have charged me with a late fee. will this affect my credit score, it's now at 720-730?  can i ask them to drop the late fee?  this card is scheduled to paid off in september, it was a promotional no interest one.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Late Payment

Welcome to the forum.  IMHO they wont report it as late, especialy if you paid before the next statement date.  I would say though your promotional rate is at risk so I would call them and explain what happend and hopefully they won't drop the promotional rate and charge you the default rate.  The late fee and APR increase would be worth not getting the 30 day late though.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 7
MattH
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
Welcome to the forum.  IMHO they wont report it as late, especialy if you paid before the next statement date.  I would say though your promotional rate is at risk so I would call them and explain what happend and hopefully they won't drop the promotional rate and charge you the default rate.  The late fee and APR increase would be worth not getting the 30 day late though.

Based on my experience they probably won't report it as late.  Back in the days of paying bills with paper checks occasionally my wife or I would forget some bill and pay immediately upon getting the polite reminder, and those never got reported on either of our credit histories.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It wont report to the CRA.  4-days late is not 30-days late.

Reporting of lates to a CRA is not based on date of billing statement, it it based on the due date set in the statement.

You can have a late payment that does report to a CRA.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

marty56 wrote: 
I would say though your promotional rate is at risk so I would call them and explain what happend and hopefully they won't drop the promotional rate and charge you the default rate. 

+1

You may be able to doublecheck your account online - DH also (unfortunately) have a CareCredit account with a promo rate, and I can see what part of the balance is being charged which interest rate.  I believe their statement says late payments may be something of a deal-breaker, so that would be my greatest concern at this point.

Hope it all works out just right for you. 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did contact them and they said , it will  not change my promotional rate but an additional late will. also they changed the late charge to 19.00 instead.  I have started paying this every two weeks like my other bills.  Thanks for all your help.  I am still aiming for 760.

Nurse 81

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

Great news.  What I would recommend that you set up for autopay for the minimum due each month and you can always add more.  This way you are covered.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.