Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late impact

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late impact

I've seen many discussions on this forum saying that 30 or 60 day lates have very little impact after 2 years. But the simulator at bankrate as well as some people's experience suggests that when the last 30 or 60 day late falls off your report after 7 years, your score increases by about 25 points. How can both statements be true?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late impact

In my case, when my last two 60 day lates aged off, I lost five points on my FICO EQ.

I was rebucketed!

Message 2 of 7
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've seen many discussions on this forum saying that 30 or 60 day lates have very little impact after 2 years. But the simulator at bankrate as well as some people's experience suggests that when the last 30 or 60 day late falls off your report after 7 years, your score increases by about 25 points. How can both statements be true?

I think there's too many other variables affecting a score, to be able to predict something like this correctly . Like AAoA, age of that TL, util. at the 7 year mark, and like beam said, re-bucketing.

In other words, I think it works differently for everyone.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

I think it also depends on how high your score is...if you are in the mid-600s, then there will probably be little impact, but if you are near 800, it makes more of a difference. 

In my case, my score rose after a 30 day late was removed from an AU account...but only TU removed it, EQ didn't...so they are 10 points apart and thus, that's a "little impact".

It also depends, as was mentioned, on what else is going on...new loans, other accounts aging, etc...7 years is a lot of time for something to change!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Peach. The impact of the removal of a 30 day late is the kind of information I was looking for. Was this your only late? Or was it your most recent late? How old was it when it got removed?

I realize a lot will change in 7 years. I am just curious if, all else being equal, 30 and 60 day lates really have negligible impact after 2 years or if the very presence of any lates (within 7 years) dings you substantially (by like 25 points as the simulator suggests). In the latter case, I will redouble my GW letter efforts. 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A 30-day late is a minor derog in credit scoring.  Its impact at 6 years vs it deletion at 7 years is minimal.  25 pts? no way!

FICO begins to scores derogs above 30-day lates as major derogs.  In my years on this site, all anecdotal reportings of 60-day lates is that, before two years from their occurance, the are treated at about twice the inmpact of 30-day lates.  But then, after two years, they are treated the same as minor, 30-day lates in scoring.

90+ lates dont seem to reduce at any such impact.

There is no way that droppng of a 30-day (or even a 60-day) late after 7 years would, in my opiinion, resutt in anywhrere a 25 point increase in FICO score.

I estimate a gain of only 5 points or less.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, this woman seems to have seen a 25 point hike because of the last 60 day aging off.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Impact-of-90-day-late-dropping-off-report...

The FICO simulator at bankrate.com also says that for both 30 and 60 day lates, having none is about 25 points better than having one more than 4 years old. I really doubt it is true for 30 based on this forum, but am not sure about 60. I hope it is not true.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.