Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lates on current account over 7 yrs old

tag
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Lates on current account over 7 yrs old

I understand that late payments will fall off credit reports at around 7 yrs from the delinquency. If I look at some of the accounts on the myFICO Experian report that I have, it lists any 30, 60 and 90 day late payments in the past 7 years. However, it also lists the "Worst Delinquency". I have an electric bill on my account that shows no lates in the last 7 years but does show a worst delinquency of 60 days from a looooong time ago in the "Worst Delinquency" box. Does this affect my score at all? And even if it doesn't affect my score, how would a lender look at this information if they needed to do a manual review for any reason? Should I worry about this, and possibly send a GW letter? Working on cleaning up my credit from when I wasn't so responsible and need all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Lates on current account over 7 yrs old

You are saying that all of the lates have fallen off for this account, correct ?   If there are no lates then I do not think that it is affecting your FICO score...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Much obliged, pizza--thank you!

AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree that they wont affect your score.  However, such inclusion in your CR is still a clear violation of FCRA 605(a).  It is improperly being provided to others upon manual review of your CR.

Section 605(a) states that:

"no consumer reporting agency may make any consumer report containing any of the following items of information....."

The exclusion is not based upon whether it is included by third parties when producing a credit score.

Monthly delinquecies are included under subsection (5), and thus any consumer report that contains any reference to that item after more than 7 years from the date of the delinquency is a violation of section 605(a)(5).

I am sure that it is an unintentional violation, as purging a consumer report of any and all reference to an excluded adverse item is difficult.  They could remain simply due to reference under a prior status code.

I would not dispute the continued inclusion, as it is not an inaccuracy in credit reporting by the creditor, but rather a failure of the CRA to properly sanitize their reports.

Just send the CRA a letter asking them to correct their inaccuracy of CR inclusion of an item excluded under the provision of section 605(a)(5).

Message 4 of 5
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

Thanks, RobertEG. This speaks to exactly what I was concerned about, which is, now that I'm relatively more responsible something that I let happen ages ago would stay on my report simply because I don't move and keep the same account with the electric company who continues to report monthly, good or bad. I will take your advice. Very much appreciated!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.