cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leave all my Credit Cards at a $0 balance except one?

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Leave all my Credit Cards at a $0 balance except one?

Hey guys. I'm rebuilding my credit and was just wondering if anyone else recommends the approach of paying off all credit cards, and only using one credit card.  Or should I make small purchases on each CC per month and just pay the bill in full each month?  Thanks.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Leave all my Credit Cards at a $0 balance except one?

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hey guys. I'm rebuilding my credit and was just wondering if anyone else recommends the approach of paying off all credit cards, and only using one credit card.  Or should I make small purchases on each CC per month and just pay the bill in full each month?  Thanks.

The goal is to only leave a minimal balance on one card of less then 9% to report and pay it off in full when statement hits. 

You can use all your cards and PIF before they report and alternate the one you want to leave a small balance on to report. 

Example 

AMEX BLUE CASH - CL 21,000 ......... Balance as of today 6,703 ........... Will pay 6,600 this evening..... Leaves a balance of 103 to report

BofA - CL 24,000.........Balance as of today 4,159.......... Will pay in full 4,159 this evening..... Leaves a 0 balance to report

Discover - CL 14,000....... Balance as of today 2,247......... Will pay in full 2,247 this evening......... Leaves a 0 balance to report

All three of these cards report between the 5th and 9th of the month for me. I will alternate the use of the cards every 3 months.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 25
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Whats up JM  -  Thanks for the info.  This helps.  I follow the same pattern pretty much, but am working to pay down my CC's with a balance and just keep one with a low balance (10% or less) .  This really makes me think twice about my spending and follow my 2-week rule.  Wait at least 2 weeks before I buy something I think I really want. 

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 3 of 25
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Whats up JM  -  Thanks for the info.  This helps.  I follow the same pattern pretty much, but am working to pay down my CC's with a balance and just keep one with a low balance (10% or less) .  This really makes me think twice about my spending and follow my 2-week rule.  Wait at least 2 weeks before I buy something I think I really want. 

If your trying to bring down CC balances then try and keep yourself from spending unless you really need it for several months or until the debt is down. We all want things at times but sometimes it just makes more sense to wait a little longer before we purchase.

Think in a different fashion, you sacrifice today to have more tomorrow. 

I know you can do it!!!!

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 25
Anarchy
New Contributor

Interesting, I only have 3 credit cards and this week I paid all 3 in full.

I currently owe nothing. Is it wise to leave it like this?

Message 5 of 25
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

If all you have is 3 CC's across the board, and they're all paid in full, I would recommend keeping a small balance (maybe as low as $10 or as high as $100 depending on your credit limit) on just ONE card. Just keep your ult. to 9% or less of your available credit (use coupons and never pay full price if you can manage it.) Continue to pay the rest of your CC's in full.   While it's good to show that you can pay the bills in full every month, FICO likes to see that you can manage a revolving credit balance, on time, every time.  That can add points to your score.

Congrats on paying off all your cards. 

Message 6 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Splurge wrote:

Interesting, I only have 3 credit cards and this week I paid all 3 in full.

I currently owe nothing. Is it wise to leave it like this?

The important question is when did you pay them? If you paid after they reported, you're scored as if you have balances. If you paid before they reported, so that they show $0 balances, you'll be scored that way. If you paid after they reported, but you don't use them again before the next reporting date (not wise, see below), they will all report $0 next time around.

If you enjoy torturing your reports to wring out as many points as possible (as I do, and as many here do), do this:

• keep using each card during the month --you don't want the lenders to close you down for inactivity
  • pay them off before they report, except for one
  • let that one report some token amount: maybe $20 if your total credit limits are low, or even the full amount if your total credit limits are high enough to keep you in very low revolving utilization territory (4% or under, for instance0
  • after that one card reports the balance, don't forget to pay it off before the due date --this is amazingly easy to do! Smiley Surprised

As to when cards report, almost all report the evening of your statement date (NOT the due date), reporting the balance that shows on the statement. All US Bank cards and HSBC/ Orchard bank cards, as opposed to store cards like the Best Buy store card, report your balance as of the last business day of the month. And there are doubtless some other cards out there that vary from this, but this is certainly the pattern for the overwhelming majority of cards.

Most people (not all) will see a drop in scores if all revolving accounts report $0. That's the reason for the advice to let one post. I found that once my scores hit their current range, EQ penalizes me for having all with $0, but TU gives me a few points. Go figure.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 25
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

This is what I hate about credit scoring..why should I HAVE to use my credit card?  (I already know the answer)

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim720 wrote:

This is what I hate about credit scoring..why should I HAVE to use my credit card?  (I already know the answer) 

Smiley Very Happy  I know, I know.

The answer, as you know - but others may not yet, is that you don't have to use your cc, you get to choose whether or not to do that.  And more importantly, for FICO credit scoring, you don't have to accumulate debt on your CC's or use them heavily. 

But FICO is a predictor of future behavior and the data shows that those who use credit in certain ways are less likely, statistically, to default.

So if you want the benefits of a high FICO (and you may not care), then it's helpful to show you're low risk by putting in the effort to handle credit responsibly.

Does DS have to put in all those hours of driving with his driver's permit?  No.  But if he wants the benefits of having a driver's license or the use of my vehicle, then he has to put in the effort to handle driving responsibly over time - then the state (and I) know what his track record is and can grant him his driving privileges accordingly.

If I was handing out large sums of money for, let's say, a mortgage - I would very much want to know how effectively the guy I was giving the cash to had handled credit in the past.  If he didn't exhibit (not just claim) good credit behavior, I would assume my risk was higher and would charge for that additional risk. 

So, for now, I'm more than happy to show my creditworthiness through my behavior - that makes me more visibly responsible to folks who I'm going to depend on to help me through life.

Message 9 of 25
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Very well written beammeup.  I enjoyed your post.  By the way, my score shot up 10 points.  Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My secret:  SELF-CONTROL, DILIGENCE AND EDUCATION.  I run professional marathons as part of my lifestyle, and love what willpower does for the race.  I'm learning how to use that same willpower to improve my FICO.   

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.