Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting Oldest Open CC Report

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Letting Oldest Open CC Report

Sadly my nearly 3 yo Walmart card is my oldest open CC. Will it ding my score if I let it report a small balance? It hasn't reported a balance in nearly 2 years.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Letting Oldest Open CC Report

You'll get that initial ding for an account waking up from a coma, but it will be gone the next month.

DH only has two open CC's, so sometimes he's dinged for nothing reporting, and then when something finally does report, he's dinged for that instead.

He's in the low 800's, and he typically loses around 12 points when one reports. I lose maybe 4 or 5 when one sneaks in.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You'll get that initial ding for an account waking up from a coma, but it will be gone the next month.

DH only has two open CC's, so sometimes he's dinged for nothing reporting, and then when something finally does report, he's dinged for that instead.

He's in the low 800's, and he typically loses around 12 points when one reports. I lose maybe 4 or 5 when one sneaks in.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

hauling -  you get dinged for 1 small balance and get a better score with all zeros?  Wow, I've never had that happen.  I always get a small boost if I let 1 small balance report.
Message 3 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hauling -  you get dinged for 1 small balance and get a better score with all zeros?  Wow, I've never had that happen.  I always get a small boost if I let 1 small balance report.

I think Hauling means previously "inactive" cards.

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think Hauling means previously "inactive" cards.

+1 Yep, that was it, thanks! Every now and again, one of these cards that doesn't usually report does so.

I have a store card that I let report a balance maybe 2-3X year, in order to keep it updating monthly, and I always get a ding on it.
Message 5 of 6
tiger67
Regular Contributor

damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.