Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting one card post for higher scores

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Letting one card post for higher scores

I've seen it on here a lot that for getting better scores you should have 1 card post a small charge and keep your remaining cards posting with 0. How much is that small charge supposed to be? I let 1 of my 2 Amex CC post a charge when the statement cuts but not both at the same time. The amounts vary but it's usually $100-$300 out of a 5k-6k card. The Chase score is around 800 while my Amex score hovers around 750 and I want to bring it up to the Chase score.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
6 REPLIES 6
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Letting one card post for higher scores

There's not really a fixed amount. You want your overall utilization to be low (<10% ideally) and the same for that one card you're letting post individually. Scores will vary based on CRAs and the algorithm. The Chase score (I'm assuming this is from Chase Credit Journey) isn't a true FICO score as it uses the VantageScore 3.0 algorithm, so most people aren't using this number. American Express reports your Experian FICO score. Since you have a Discover card, you can look at your TransUnion FICO score there as well.

TL;DR: The amount shouldn't be over 10% of the card

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For AZEO I’ve read on here that $5 should be enough but no more than 8.9% utilization. I haven’t read of a 50 point boost from it though.
Message 3 of 7
Kforce
Valued Contributor

(Short answer 5-10 dollars) 

Some CC issuers will wright off small charges 1-2 dollars and BoA sometimes as large as 5 dollars. For some profiles, those with many cards, a few cards reporting does not change the fico score at all or by a point or two. The best  answer is all zero except 1 at the smallest number that will report. Most CC issuers report the statement balance a few days after you statement cuts, however a few report current balance at a certain day of the month regardless of statement balance. Some issuers also send info to the credit bureaus mid cycle if you make a payment or request a mid cycle report. This means that some cards are easier to report zero than others. A list of your cards will lead to management suggestions. If you are planing on becoming a regular (AZEO - Reporter), many techniques can be suggested to make card use and reporting simplified.

Message 4 of 7
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

As for my cards my two Chase cards report at 0 regularly. They are used but when charges appear on it I pay it off each week. My Discover is SD but I'll buy something with it every couple months for activity purposes but it will also cut at 0. My two Amex have 5k and 6k limits but considering how I'm posting 5% of my limit I'm doing alright. One month might be my SPG card and another month it will be ED but not both in one cycle.

My Amex score hovers around 750, Discover 760 and the (junk) Chase Credit Journey hovers at 800. I'm not a rebuilder or trying to get a mortgage or anything I'm curious how high it'll go and if I'm doing it right. Such as today my statement for my SPG will cut and it will have $100 on it and it'll be back at 0 next Monday.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 5 of 7
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I believe from other post that Chase reports mid cycle if you make a payment.  Everyone's profile is different (YMMV), but for me 1 card reporting 5-6% as compared to only 5 dollars is about 6 points.  All reporting 0,  I see about 12-15 points loss.  If two cards report at 5-10 dollars, I see only  2 points drop from 1 card reporting.  It helps a little but we are not talking large numbers. A little reporting on one-two is better than all zero.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, $100-$300 reported on a $5k+ CL is fine for AZEO score maximization, as that range falls under 8.9% utilization.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.