Loan Defferment

I have been working on improving my credit score since September of 2006.  I can honestly say I went about it the wrong way.  My scores were between 570, 589, and 611.  Since that time I have paid off 9 of the 11 charge-offs that I have.  The two remaining have been very difficult to negoiate with.  I have made sure that all my payment are on time(I only have two payments car loan & student loan).  In February I decided to try to apply for credit and I applied with premier & capitol one to my surprise they both issued me credit.  I also started school again in January and that meant new school loans.  Well my original student loan has been deffered as a result of my new loans and my payments have stopped being taken from my account.  My question is will this cause my score to be affected negatively?  The reason I am asking is I originally was told by a realtor to pay off my collections and my score wold increase but after doing so my credit score dropped to 501, 509, and 523.  I have gotten my score back up to the mid 500's now and I am trying to stay on this path but I am afraid that this deferment will hurt my score? Please help
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Loan Defferment

Student loan deferment will not hurt your score with the exception that you may see a notation 'installement loan balances too high'.  As long as they are in a deferred status they should not be considered but that is on a bureau by bureau basis I find.
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Loan Defferment

Agreed. I have deferred a few times. Doing so had no impact on my scores.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.