Faithful

Loan Defferment

I have been working on improving my credit score since September of 2006.  I can honestly say I went about it the wrong way.  My scores were between 570, 589, and 611.  Since that time I have paid off 9 of the 11 charge-offs that I have.  The two remaining have been very difficult to negoiate with.  I have made sure that all my payment are on time(I only have two payments car loan & student loan).  In February I decided to try to apply for credit and I applied with premier & capitol one to my surprise they both issued me credit.  I also started school again in January and that meant new school loans.  Well my original student loan has been deffered as a result of my new loans and my payments have stopped being taken from my account.  My question is will this cause my score to be affected negatively?  The reason I am asking is I originally was told by a realtor to pay off my collections and my score wold increase but after doing so my credit score dropped to 501, 509, and 523.  I have gotten my score back up to the mid 500's now and I am trying to stay on this path but I am afraid that this deferment will hurt my score? Please help
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

Re: Loan Defferment

Student loan deferment will not hurt your score with the exception that you may see a notation 'installement loan balances too high'.  As long as they are in a deferred status they should not be considered but that is on a bureau by bureau basis I find.
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Loan Defferment

Agreed. I have deferred a few times. Doing so had no impact on my scores.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+