Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loan for stocks

tag
C-Chedda
Established Member

Loan for stocks

I recently applied a recieved a loan for 7k to pay for some stocks (at a very reduced rate) from my company. I will have the loan paid off in 30 days. Will this make my credit score drop due to this being a new account? Also will my score go up when the account is paid off?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Loan for stocks

@C-Chedda wrote:
I recently applied a recieved a loan for 7k to pay for some stocks (at a very reduced rate) from my company. I will have the loan paid off in 30 days. Will this make my credit score drop due to this being a new account? Also will my score go up when the account is paid off?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You'll probably take a minor hit for a new inquiry and a new credit account showing up. And this will also lower of your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).

Just paying it off won't raise your score back up. It will be considered a new account for about a year. After you pay it off and it is closed it will continue reporting for up to 10 years which helps your credit length history and AAoA.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

moving to the Understanding FICO Scoring forum

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@C-Chedda wrote:

Sorry, C-Chedda,

Could you clarify???  Did you receive a loan from your company, or buy some stocks from your company?

I'm curious - If you took a loan out from a bank or cu that reports the loans; or if you took out a loan from a retirement fund or some such that you have with your company that would not be reporting the loan???

Message 4 of 12
C-Chedda
Established Member

I

Message 5 of 12
C-Chedda
Established Member

I borrowed the money from my companies credit union
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

marinevietvet wrote:  You'll probably take a minor hit for a new inquiry and a new credit account showing up. And this will also lower of your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).

Just paying it off won't raise your score back up. It will be considered a new account for about a year. After you pay it off and it is closed it will continue reporting for up to 10 years which helps your credit length history and AAoA.

I agree.  It'll depend on what else is showing on your accounts. 

Message 7 of 12
C-Chedda
Established Member

I

I have a BKR discharged in 2005. I was late on my student loans 7/2007. I also has a 90 day late in 5/2009. My credit score is 624 trans and 637 equifax. I have a 200 CR with a 8 dollar balance
Message 8 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@C-Chedda wrote:

I

I have a BKR discharged in 2005. I was late on my student loans 7/2007. I also has a 90 day late in 5/2009. My credit score is 624 trans and 637 equifax. I have a 200 CR with a 8 dollar balance

Sometimes what remains on your reports is just as crucial as what is gone. That 1 year old 90 day late is a real score killer IMO and will remain so for quite some time. How long? You'll get different opinions about that but a 90 day late is considered a major derogatory.

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 9 of 12
C-Chedda
Established Member

But shouldn't my score go up after about a year of paying my bills on time?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.