Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to refine my lineup

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to refine my lineup

Planning on closing my credit one in march before the AF hits.  I also would like to consider eliminating Commerce Bank visa around Nov 1 if they do not offer me a CLI.  I am replacing it with a local credit union 9.9% visa.  The limit is $3k but in 6 months I will qualify for their $10k 7.9% card automatically.

I would like to think since I am so new to credit I could elminate a few accounts with no repercussions.  Care credit goes back to june 2013, 3 in 2014, and most in the last 6 months. It is my understanding even the closed accounts will factor into my AAOA for 10 years. And since their limits are so low, my already low utilization is not going up.

I mean, technically the commerce bank has no AF. They do send BT checks quite often. I guess I could keep it and use it from time to time. Crummy rewards, and bt fee is $10 or 5% though! horrible!

If I can handle all these cards responsibly, just keep them? I am not using Buckle that often either. It has good payment history since april 2014. Commerce since september 2014.

I also just added a $4.2k lenovo preferred account via EQ SP.  This will definitely get some use with their thinkpads at no interest offers.  Also, I'd be content closing the quicksilver (12/2014), now that I have the double cash.

But basically, since I have so many new accounts, they should age gracefully over the next 10 years. So since I would be eliminating less credit that what I just added, I shoudl be fine?

What would happen if tomorrow I closed credit one, commerce bank, and buckle, all at once? I know for the average person its better to do thing slowly over time due to utilization.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Looking to refine my lineup

Care credit is a hard one to keep open as I understand it; if you're not using it they'll close and it's a limited use card albeit a very good one in my opinion.

If you plan to throw something like annual physical on it you can likely keep it forever maybe which would make it a good anchor tradeline.

I would suggest your commerce card is much like my DCU secured card: I don't need it, it only gets trotted out occasionally to keep it active, but DCU will likely never take it away from me whereas BOFA might whack my 1-2-3 cash card which is my oldest open account.  It's good to have a backup plan, and old accounts are good accounts, and as such I wouldn't recommend closing it just yet, see how your credit profile develops over time, 10 years from now it won't matter, but in the 3-4 year time frame it might and if it doesn't cost you anything /shrug.

Anything with a fee like your Credit One card, if you're not really using it kick it to the curb.  I know I have sort of broken that rule with my Amex BCP as it really hasn't been getting the use I planned (and I haven't done GC's yet to maximize the rewards TBH) but in general it's a good one to have... though in the scenario for others if have an old old Cap 1 card (like post BK) even at a $50 AF and the rest of accounts are much newer, that $50 might be trivial, but that's the one exception I'd make as a general rule.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.