cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost 27 points for using credit card for $1???

tag
wemmington
Valued Member

Lost 27 points for using credit card for $1???

Got a scorewatch alert today for "An account that has been inactive for more than 5 months has become recently active" and lost 27 points.  I have a credit card I haven't used in almost 2 years so I charged $1 last month and paid it the next day. I was trying to make sure credit card was not canceled for inactivity.  

The balance reported still shows 0 but date of last activity now shows 2/2009 instead if 2007. I checked equifax backdoor report and absolutely nothing else changed.  

I probably have whats considered a thin file but my oldest account is 10 years and AAoA is 4 but doesnt 27 points seem like a lot?  

Anyone else experience this? 

Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 12:40 PM
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
wemmington
Valued Member

Re: Lost 27 points for using credit card for $1???

I found out what happened. 

On 2/27 my Eq fico was 728 and my credit card reported a new last activity date so a scorewatch arlert was triggered but alert was not sent until today 3/3.   On 2/28 a 30/dy late that I disputed came off my report and I used a scorepower report to pull my new score of 755(gain of 27 points).  

Because the scorewatch was triggered before my point increase but not delivered until after it showed a decrease in points but in reality my score didnt change at all, it was just the score from 2/27.  I probably didnt word that very well, did that make sense?

I confirmed this by getting my current Eq fico score from  https://www.freeficoscore.com/unionpromooffer/ and it shows 755 so I didnt lose any points.  

I'm still going to use scorewatch but it's a bummer that there can be a delay of as much as 5 days and when you get the alert its not nesasarly showing your current score but your score from when the scorewatch alert was first triggered.  This can make it a little harder to track what is changing your score if you have multiple things change in a few days.

Hope this helps someone. 

Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 03:07 PM
Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 05:33 PM
Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Do you have really high scores (i.e., 780+)? If so, your scores are exquisitely sensitive to the most minor changes in your reports.

If it was just this, then you'll get the points back.

So neither the oldest account nor the AAoA went up a year?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
wemmington
Valued Member

Thanks for the reply.

My Eq fico was 755 and dropped to 728.   Oldest account is 10 years 2 months and AAoA is still 4 years.  

Do you thin I will get points back fairly quickly?  

Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 01:19 PM
Message 3 of 5
wemmington
Valued Member

I found out what happened. 

On 2/27 my Eq fico was 728 and my credit card reported a new last activity date so a scorewatch arlert was triggered but alert was not sent until today 3/3.   On 2/28 a 30/dy late that I disputed came off my report and I used a scorepower report to pull my new score of 755(gain of 27 points).  

Because the scorewatch was triggered before my point increase but not delivered until after it showed a decrease in points but in reality my score didnt change at all, it was just the score from 2/27.  I probably didnt word that very well, did that make sense?

I confirmed this by getting my current Eq fico score from  https://www.freeficoscore.com/unionpromooffer/ and it shows 755 so I didnt lose any points.  

I'm still going to use scorewatch but it's a bummer that there can be a delay of as much as 5 days and when you get the alert its not nesasarly showing your current score but your score from when the scorewatch alert was first triggered.  This can make it a little harder to track what is changing your score if you have multiple things change in a few days.

Hope this helps someone. 

Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 03:07 PM
Message Edited by wemmington on 03-03-2009 05:33 PM
Message 4 of 5
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Makes sense. And yes, SW is especially twitchy these days...not sure why though. It used to be much more efficient. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.