Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Util % = Lower Score?!!

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Lower Util % = Lower Score?!!

Everyone always says that the Score Simulator here on myfico (for TU and EQ) are super accurate, but Score simulator is showing something weird for me so I'm hoping someone can help explain.

On TU, I have a utilization of 65%, which is a balance of $22,849 on $35,050. I have already paid off my last 2 credit cards, which had balances totalling $3,665 and which will make my util % go down to 54% (all credit cards now have $0 balances!). In order to boost my score more, I was planning to pay $2,350 toward my last revolving account (single LOC), which would put me at an overall util of 49%.

HOWEVER, Score Simulator is telling that paying down $3,665 to have a util of 54% will give me a higher score range (608-648), than paying down $6,015 to have a util of 49% (598-638). How is this possible??? Is this just an example of Score Simulator being wacky or there a reason why my score would actually be lower paying down less??

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lower Util % = Lower Score?!!

Which option are you selecting? "$X every month for Y months," or pay down $X of your total revolving debt?

Message 2 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I am selecting "$X every month for Y months" and in both options, I am putting "1 month" and only the amount to pay down is different. Like I said, paying off less is giving me a higher score range.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmm... Curios, indeed!

Perhaps, the higher payment (ultimately resulting in lower revolving utilization) crosses a debt threshold to rebucket you?

Or, perhaps it's time for the the little old guy inside the simulator to retire... He's starting to miscalculate! Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

I'm going to chalk it up to error because making the larger payment, according to Score Simulator (and common sense) does provide for an additional score increase for my EQ score so I'm just going to pay it and cross my fingers that it doesn't actually hurt my TU to pay more!! That's the tricky thing... EQ says it will increase my score, but TU says it will decrease, ugh!

Message 5 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The link below is to article about home equity line of credit. It may maybe not quite the same as what you have. But I think it gives a little insight on how FICO treats a revolivng line of credit type account. My impression was it is not treated the same as credit card.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/savings/heloc-activity-may-affect-fico-score.aspx

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

That article is misleading and missing a lot of important information. A line of credit, including a HELOC, as long as it's below a certain amount ($30K for one CRA and $50K for another) is treatly EXACTLY like a CC.

I have a BOA consumer line of credit with an original limit of $29,200 and a current balance of $19K... it affects my utilization % exactly as if it were a CC. Right now, I have 4 CCs, all of which have a $0 balances and then the LOC which has the $19K balance. My current utilization % according to all 3 CRAs is 54%, which is the $19K divided by the limits of the 4 CCs + the $29,200 LOC limit. As a result, this LOC is seriously damaging my credit scores because it looks like I have a very high utilization %.

Nevermind that the LOC is actually closed so it can't even be used and doesn't represent a risk of me incurring more debt!

Message 7 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

One of the last 2 CCs finally reported a $0 balance (still waiting onthe other, ugh) and I pulled a new TU credit report. The Score Simulator seems to have regained its marbles!

Now it says that if I pay the extra $2350, my score will go up, not down, so I just paid it Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.