Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Discrepancy Between FICO Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major Discrepancy Between FICO Scores

Someone I know received a notice from the gas company saying his experian fico was 380. We checked his equifax fico on myfico and it was 660. He has no major collections, delinquencies, or bankruptcies. In addition, fako scores from all three agencies are in the 680s. Is it really possible that his experian fico is 380, given all of this other info?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Major Discrepancy Between FICO Scores

@Anonymous wrote:
Someone I know received a notice from the gas company saying his experian fico was 380. We checked his equifax fico on myfico and it was 660. He has no major collections, delinquencies, or bankruptcies. In addition, fako scores from all three agencies are in the 680s. Is it really possible that his experian fico is 380, given all of this other info?

Ask him or her if the score did indeed say "FICO" or if it said something like "Experian Credit Score" or something like that. Big difference. There are a number of consumer risk scores out there used by utilities and they don't necessarily have a 300-850 range like most FICOs.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We just re-read the paper closer and it says the score is based on a special tool developed for utility companies.

Is the score likely low because this is the first time has has had a utilities account in his name and first time apartment rental?
Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
We just re-read the paper closer and it says the score is based on a special tool developed for utility companies.

Is the score likely low because this is the first time has has had a utilities account in his name and first time apartment rental?

There's an assumption here that the score is low. Maybe the score range is 0 to 400. Not all scores are 300-850. If the letter had specific terminology with a score name, then you can look that up to see if there's a published range somewhere.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is the one from the utilities, Exchange Credit Services.  I haven't been able to see what their score ranges are but several posters have had negative numbers and I think the highest I saw was a 287.

It is only based on utilities, cable, satellite, cell phones, etc.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.