Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major score difference between Fake Experian Score and FICO

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Major score difference between Fake Experian Score and FICO

I have a general question.   Is it normal to have a 40+ point difference between what Experian shows through their website (Fake Experian Score) and what FICO shows the bank?

The reason I ask, I was refinancing a car and my Experian Score showed that my socre was (and still is) 685 while the bank informed me my score was 642 (They told me they used Experian).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and is there any recourse?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Major score difference between Fake Experian Score and FICO

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a general question.   Is it normal to have a 40+ point difference between what Experian shows through their website (Fake Experian Score) and what FICO shows the bank?

The reason I ask, I was refinancing a car and my Experian Score showed that my socre was (and still is) 685 while the bank informed me my score was 642 (They told me they used Experian).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and is there any recourse?

Thanks

This really isn't uncommon at all.   FAKO scores have their own scoring rules which do not correlate to FICO scores.   

Did your bank provide you a scoring disclosure along with your score ?  It will list the scoring reasons ~ I'd take a look at that as a starting point.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pizzadude,

I'm assuming then that the FAKO product isn't worth crap?  (Other than checking my report for errors...)

The bank has not included a scoring disclosure yet as I have not received the rejection letter.   I received a new "loan payment book" in the mail for the loan, so I assumed the refinance had happened.   However, when I took a look at my interest rate online,it had not changed.  

The bank rep also started listing all of these interest hikes that would be associated with the refinance that the original lending rep had not disclosed....

I'm not a real happy camper at the moment.

Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yep.  I wouldn't rely on the score for anything, but monitoring your report is still good.     What interest rate did they originally quote you, and what are you looking at now ?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The original rate and loan was from over a year ago and the rate was 11.99%.    At the time, my car blew up (my car was only 6 years old), I had to have a working vehicle for work (or get fired), so I took what I could get.   At the time, I had a bogus collection on my credit (which has been removed) so my score was around 620.  

The rate I was quoted with my FAKO score was 4.99%.  The agent I spoke with today told me that my rate would have been 7.99%, but that extra "points" would have been added for the car being over 10 years old, had over 100,000 miles on it, refinance points, etc and would have put the percentage over 11.99%.

The agent also informed me that since there was less than $5000 owed on the car that they wouldn't have refinanced anyways.

Essentially, (in my opinion), the refi shouldn't have even hit the credit part of the loan since it did not qualify per their rules.   So now i'm getting hit with the same rate, and my credit has been dinged with a "hard Inquiry".

What sucks is this is a CU I have had an account at since I was born and have financed 3 or 4 cars through them, and I have never had any problems.

I think i'll probably visit them tomorrow and talk to the loan manager...or a lawyer.

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah, I agree that you should go in and talk with the CU manager, maybe they can work with you since you have a long history with them.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.