Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Makes no sense!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes no sense!

First time poster, but I'm currently in process of buying a house.  I pulled reports from MyFICO and Experian (paid for the PLUS score Smiley Indifferent ).

My mortgage broker pulled my report from Experian:

Equifax Beacon 5.0: 800

COMMENTS:

30 Time since most recent account opening is too short

8 Too many inquiries last 12 months

5 Too many accounts with balances

14 Length of time accounts have been established

FICO Risk, Classic (04): 776

COMMENTS:

030 Time since most recent account opening is too short

012 Length of time revolving accounts have been established

003 Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high

005 Too many accounts with balances

Experian Fair Isaac Version 2: 810

COMMENTS:

14 Length of time accounts have been established

09 Too many accounts recently opened

05 Too many accounts with balances

10 Proportion of balance to high credit on banking revolving or all

revolving accounts

However, what Experian says in my consumer report is in contrast to what was reported to my broker.  My PLUS score is 780, BTW.  The report goes on to say what factors affect the score: 

"Listed below are the top factors that raised your score. They are listed in order of importance. 

You have paid your bills on time and currently do not have any overdue accounts or derogatory information, such as a collection, charge-off, or bankruptcy, on your report.

You have a good cushion of available credit between your current balance and your credit limits on all open trades. This has a positive affect on your credit score. This cushion shows lenders that you are unlikely to overextend yourself financially.

The total balance on all your credit cards is relatively low compared to your total available credit limit. This has a positive impact on your credit score.

Your average credit limit for your major credit cards, such as Discover, American Express, VISA, or MasterCard, is high. This tells lenders that you have enough financial experience, and they will be more likely to see you as a good credit risk."

Then listed are factors negatively affecting score:

"Listed below are the top factors that lowered your score. They are listed in order of importance. 

Credit scores are calculated based on various factors in your credit report. Currently, your credit report does not show any significant negative or derogatory information."

I find it strange that Experain report I order says one thing and report broker orders says something different.  The lender's report looks like a consolidated report, but only hard pull shows on Experian.  MyFICO scores were 788 and 800 for EFX and TU respectively.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Makes no sense!

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Your Experian PLUS score is a FAKO. Experian canceled its deal with FICO to allow customers to buy their EX FICO's back on Feb 13 of this year. The "advice" that comes with a FAKO score is also FAKO and rarely matches that of FICO's, other than things like pay on time (gee, thanks!)

Your Experian Fair Isaac Version 2 score of 810 is your EX FICO, and it's a very nice one, too.

Did you pull your EQ and TU FICO's on a different date than did your broker? The EQ FICO's should match, as Beacon 5.0 is what's provided here. myFICO is still providing TU 98 instead of TU04 (they're working on it), so no surprise that they're different.

At any rate, what your lender gave you is the real stuff. Disregard the PLUS junk.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I've found that PLUS scores and the comments and advice associated with it are totally worthless. Ignore it.

Great scores, BTW.

ETA...Foiled again by the fast typing skills of HTSU.
Message Edited by llecs on 05-29-2009 10:55 PM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forums!  Did you pull your EQ and TU FICO's on a different date than did your broker? The EQ FICO's should match, as Beacon 5.0 is what's provided here. myFICO is still providing TU 98 instead of TU04 (they're working on it), so no surprise that they're different.

Thanks.  As a matter of fact I did.  The day before the lender pulled.  My EQ scores match, but my TU score tanked 12 points. 
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The TU score difference is then due to the fact that your lender pulled TU04 and myFICO provides TU98. I don't know the differences in the two formulas, but some folks report higher scores with 04, and some report lower.

We're all waiting, not very patiently, for TU to provide TU04 through here. Our FICO scores are actually crunched by the CRA's, not here. myFICO is just the portal for consumers to access their scores.

Your scores are beautiful, and I'm looking forward to the day mine are similar. Did your lender indicate that you would be getting the best rates? I would guess that they would go with your Equifax of 800, which is your middle score (generally how mortgage lenders treat these.)

In the unlikely event that you need even higher scores, there's not a lot you can do about the age of your newest account or the number of inquiries or your overall age, but if you pay off all your CC's except one before their statements drop, so that only one shows a balance, you might eke out a few more points. But since these are mostly your 3rd and 4th factors, they might not make a whole lot of difference.

You might also have noticed that with your 800+ scores, myFICO doesn't give you any negative comments, and for 760 - 799, you only get one. Yet you still have four negatives showing on your scores via your lender. It appears that myFICO thinks the egos of the 800 Club members are too delicate to be scolded! Smiley Very Happy

At any rate, even though you have negatives showing, they're not affecting your score very much, or you'd be down in the muck and mire with the rest of us.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess time is against me.  My only debt is a car loan with a $21K balance and a revolving credit card with Sleepys with a balance of $1,200 (Free money, that is interest free for 24 mos).  I have available credit of $194K of with various CCs.  I rotate them with purchases and PIF usually within a few days.

I'm going with VA and I have a 4.5% rate locked in.  My lender indicated VA isn't too concerned with score, but moreso with DTI ratio, which I think he said mine is about 21%.  So my loan amount is pretty much much based on what I think I can swing payment-wise and within limits of VA rules of course.  The limit I set for myself is going to keep me from being house rich and cash poor.  Property tax around here is a killer too!

However, I live in a high-cost area, so home prices are sickeningly super inflated, but the market can bear it b/c of incomes (I live and work in the NCR).  Those of us not making 6 figures are usually renting because homes are unaffordable inside the beltway.  I'm working on a single family since I refuse to buy a condo or TH.  Prices here have dropped some since the crash, but not a whole helluva lot.  The trade off was to buy outside of beltway and increase commuting time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.