cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making major payment on credit card balance - how soon will it affect my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making major payment on credit card balance - how soon will it affect my credit score?

Just got my tax refund that wipes out about 25% of my credit card debt in one shot. It is going to PIF one of only 2 accounts that I have carried a balance on tomorrow. This one had 7.9% APR, the other as 12.99% but I have a 0% BT until July.

As my credit scores significant dings come from carrying balances, rather than lates, bankruptcies, etc..., I should I expect a little bump in my score.

When exactly will that score go up? I know that they usually use the amount the statement balance to figure out the credit score. But do the credit score companies recalculate it every time they get the new data, meaning your score could change daily? Or does it wait to say a certain point in the week or month perhaps, and then recalculate?

I'm just curious at how seen I can see the bump!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Making major payment on credit card balance - how soon will it affect my credit score?

If you were curious enough (and rich enough) to pull your scores every day, they could potentially change every day.

That's because the scores don't exist until someone requests them. Then they're created off the info on your credit reports.

So as soon as your bank updates, AND as soon as the credit bureaus mosey around to post the new balance, that's when you will see a score increase.

This is why so many of us use CreditSecure or (once upon a time Smiley Sad ) TrueCredit --to see daily changes on reports, and know when it's probably worth pulling a score.

For most people here on the boards, EX updates within 24 hours of receiving info from the banks. TU and EQ take turns being the caboose. They usually update within 4-7 days after the banks report, except when they don't.

Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making major payment on credit card balance - how soon will it affect my credit score?

Thanks - can you tell me more about CreditSecure, how it works, what it costs, what it tells you? It sounds like it doesn't tell you your score but perhaps your data that is used to create the score? I'm curious as that could be interesting if I either apply for an auto loan, or a new credit card to BT the remaining balance to 0% as I pay it off.

(I think I lucked out last summer and got a prime rate 7.9% Cap1, as I had BTd about $7000 away from Discover, which reported a $0 balance, and the new creditor  -BofA -did not report it yet. Does that sound possible?) I of course guard my credit now as I do not want to lose this great rate. Timing could be possible in this?

Message 3 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

There are lots of credit monitoring services. Most of us like the ones that let us view all three reports every day.

Some are Experian products (for instance, CreditSecure), and others are based on TransUnion (TrueCredit.*)

And you're absolutely right --you don't use them to monitor scores, because they display FAKO scores; you use them to monitor reports.

CreditSecure is available to American Express members. There are other versions out there that don't require AmEx membership. They typically run $9-something to $15-something per month.

The trick is to find out if you can update daily --not just look at the same reports over and over.

Chase has a service. As I understand it, it used to provide daily updates, but for new members, it seems to be monthly.

Do a search here for credit monitoring --you should be able to pull up lots of discussion.

*edit to clarify: TC used to allow a pull of all three reports every 24 hours. Several months ago, they changed this to allow daily pulls of only the TU report. EQ and EX can only be updated monthly. And they did not lower the fee for this. Smiley Mad
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-01-2009 10:11 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.