Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making the jump into the 800's --how long does it take

tag
ozgirl
Regular Contributor

Making the jump into the 800's --how long does it take

After working on my credit for the last 3 years I have entered 700 territory.  Does it take a lot longer to cross the threshold into 800 territory than it did to move from 500's to 600's and 600's to 700's?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Making the jump into the 800's --how long does it take

800 is a very difficult target to reach - many will never reach it. It takes a long credit history, a substantial AAoA's and an otherwise perfect CBR.
Message 2 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

What CWCID says is true.

The opposite end of the scale is that some people with really "thin" credit files can reach 800. My daughter, for example, only had a Discover that she'd had for years plus a paid car loan showing. She is 31 y/o. She had an 804 FICO when she qualified for her mortgage.

She hasn't pulled her credit lately, but I'm sure she's no longer over 800. So...some people can make it early in their credit lives, but it normally doesn't last.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It took me 11 years from my BK in 1998.

However, I had two 21 year old accounts that survived reported on EQ and TU.  EX did not report that account and the highest I achieved was about 781.

So you do need some length of credit generally and a reasonable AAoA.

Message 4 of 6
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

What CWCID says is true.

The opposite end of the scale is that some people with really "thin" credit files can reach 800. My daughter, for example, only had a Discover that she'd had for years plus a paid car loan showing. She is 31 y/o. She had an 804 FICO when she qualified for her mortgage.

She hasn't pulled her credit lately, but I'm sure she's no longer over 800. So...some people can make it early in their credit lives, but it normally doesn't last.

Credit issuers are hip to what is called "Fragile A" credit - high credit scores based on thin a CBR. Those scores are discounted in decision making

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true....breadth and depth of credit are vitally important.

Fortunately by the time hit 800 I had a diversified credit portfolio, mix and 2 accounts with over 20 years (Macy's).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.