cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I get an explanation, please?

tag
Soxfan827

May I get an explanation, please?

Reading my credit reports has left me confused on this one Issue.  I have a medical collection on my report that says>>Date Assigned-Dec. 29, 2003,  Date Reported--Jan. 15, 2007,  Date Paid--May 29, 2004.  Why the three year difference in dates?  It appears to me that this was reported 3 years after I already paid.  Can you also tell me  which date is the most significant date of the three?  I would love for this to drop off soon since it is the only derogatory mark on my score. I can't figure out when it will drop off.  Thank you in advance for any advice offered. I am hoping that the clock will at least start at the date I paid in full. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: May I get an explanation, please?

@Soxfan827 wrote:

Reading my credit reports has left me confused on this one Issue.  I have a medical collection on my report that says>>Date Assigned-Dec. 29, 2003,  Date Reported--Jan. 15, 2007,  Date Paid--May 29, 2004.  Why the three year difference in dates?  It appears to me that this was reported 3 years after I already paid.  Can you also tell me  which date is the most significant date of the three?  I would love for this to drop off soon since it is the only derogatory mark on my score. I can't figure out when it will drop off.  Thank you in advance for any advice offered. I am hoping that the clock will at least start at the date I paid in full. 

First of all get hold of your paper reports directly from the Credit Reporting Agencies through www.annualcreditreport.com. Transunion will most likely list the drop off date as will Experian. Equifax will show the Date of First Delinquency. Add 7 years and 180 days from that date and you should be very close to the drop off date on Equifax.

Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: May I get an explanation, please?

@Soxfan827 wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

None of those dates matters as far as when a negative entry will be removed.

Here is how and when derogs drop from you CR, and are thus no longer included in FICO scoring.

Monthly delinquencies under an OC account drop at 7 years from their individual date of delinquency. The date of first delinquency (DOFD) has nothing to do with these drop-off dates. They drop from their own individual dates. So look at each prior OC reported monthly derog date, and simply add 7 years.

If the OC subsequently reports their account as a charge off, that is a totally different and additional post to your CR. Their post as a charge-off will remain in your CR for 7.5 years from the DOFD on the OC account, which is the first 30-day delinquency you had on the account, and disregards any later 60/90+ delinquencies that followed. That cannot be reset.

If the OC then refers the account for collection, and a CA posts to your CR, the drop-off date of their collection reporting is the same as that of a CO. It is 7.5 years from the same DOFD on the OC account, and the CA cannot reset this date.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.