tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Minor data point on CC utilization

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

When 1 card went from 31% utilization to zero, & overall CC utilization went from 3% to 1%, TU & EX added 2 points in FICO8.

# of cards went from 4/19 to 3/19.

My sense is that it was the 1 card at 31% that was the difference.

Hrm, not sure I buy that on EX: I don't drop points for much higher utilizations than that as a fellow dirty file... I can't test your TU finding personally.

I'm planning to do a detailed analysis soon with my brand spanking new $200 Discover Secured from whatever the minimum is ($2 presumably) all the way up to 100% and everywhere in between and try to nail down this stupid individual tradeline utilization which has been out in the wind for way too long without concrete data.

So you don't think 80%, 50% 30%, and 10% are pretty solid?

Certainly not on all scorecards and or on all bureaus.  Individual tradelines I've gone up to ~72% without penalty, but I've also been at 93% and did see a drop there; unfortunately my one test at 88% got lost as a result of Chase's mid-cycle reporting which I was unaware of at the time, oopsie.  We still have folks suggesting 90% is maxxed out, and others suggesting 80%, which effectively shows we haven't come to a good conclusion on that.  Really the way people push their limits here makes it unfeasible for most people to test it unless you're in my situation where credit is kinda irrelevant at this point in time... and a throwaway tradeline makes absolutely no difference: I can't really test it on my other lowest tradeline ($2500) without carrying balances, but I will be spending $200 during a month still repeatedly.

I think 10% and 30% are aggregate boundaries but aggregate and individual are scored differently and there's nothing to suggest they're the same in the implementation either.

Thanks.

I always learn something from you.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 13
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Certainly not on all scorecards and or on all bureaus.  Individual tradelines I've gone up to ~72% without penalty, but I've also been at 93% and did see a drop there; unfortunately my one test at 88% got lost as a result of Chase's mid-cycle reporting which I was unaware of at the time, oopsie.  We still have folks suggesting 90% is maxxed out, and others suggesting 80%, which effectively shows we haven't come to a good conclusion on that.  Really the way people push their limits here makes it unfeasible for most people to test it unless you're in my situation where credit is kinda irrelevant at this point in time... and a throwaway tradeline makes absolutely no difference: I can't really test it on my other lowest tradeline ($2500) without carrying balances, but I will be spending $200 during a month still repeatedly.

I think 10% and 30% are aggregate boundaries but aggregate and individual are scored differently and there's nothing to suggest they're the same in the implementation either.

Agree, impact of individual CC utilization on Fico 08 is scorecard dependent based on data we have looked at over time. Aggregate utilization appears to have a greater # of defined thresholds because some "potential" individual thresholds may be muted depending on scorecard.

For individual credit cards, the data is rather compelling that impact of card UT % is scorecard dependent. Some Fico presentations allude to that as well. I did not see any change in TU Fico 08 when a BB card to reported 51% utilization. A couple months later the same card reported a 75.3% utilization ($3011 balance & $4000 CL at the time) with no impact on TU Fico 08. Key point here, I think, is maintaining AG UT at single digit level.

I'm in the 90% camp and Experian states 90% in their EX Plus report summary. 

Plus Score Credit Usage.gif

Pasted below is an older thread speaking to utilization. It includes a graph of score by utilization based on EXAMPLE data provided by 

Revelate, your thoughts on the data in that thread. I'll delete the graph if the data was just for illustration and not actual data - don't want to misrepresent the info. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Interesting-Credit-Card-Utilization-information-I-heard/m-p/4529364#M107371

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 12 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Agree, impact of individual CC utilization on Fico 08 is scorecard dependent based on data we have looked at over time. Aggregate utilization appears to have a greater # of defined thresholds because some "potential" individual thresholds may be muted depending on scorecard.

For individual credit cards, the data is rather compelling that impact of card UT % is scorecard dependent. Some Fico presentations allude to that as well. I did not see any change in TU Fico 08 when a BB card to reported 51% utilization. A couple months later the same card reported a 75.3% utilization ($3011 balance & $4000 CL at the time) with no impact on TU Fico 08. Key point here, I think, is maintaining AG UT at single digit level.

I'm in the 90% camp and Experian states 90% in their EX Plus report summary. 

Plus Score Credit Usage.gif

Pasted below is an older thread speaking to utilization. It includes a graph of score by utilization based on EXAMPLE data provided by 

Revelate, your thoughts on the data in that thread. I'll delete the graph if the data was just for illustration and not actual data - don't want to misrepresent the info. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Interesting-Credit-Card-Utilization-information-I-heard/m-p/4529364#M107371

I remember that thread; I think it was just for illustration based on the posts which is why I took some exception to it looking back at it.

We've talked about individual tradeline utilization previously and I did get the one concrete datapoint of a maxxed out card being a 7 point penalty on EQ FICO 8 on my file at some absurdly low aggregate, and I had some solid prior aggregate datapoints on FICO 04 which were a drop of 14 points at 13 and 27% utilization respectively with a maxxed out tradeline (~99% utilization individual when I was high balance setting on my BCP pre and post CLI) from a few years back (660 -> 646).

At least on FICO 04 I think I could state based on my data that there's no difference between likely 10% and 30% utilization aggregate on my scorecard, unfortunately I've only seen before and after datapoints on people with extremely high aggregate utilization as it'd be irresponsible of me to suggest they do anything but pay it off as quickly as possible.

At this point I'm going to try to get explicit breakpoints on individual tradeline utilization (there may only be one from both of our data sets) on my known dirty scorecard for now, and then on a clean EX/EQ scorecard a year from now if someone doesn't beat me to it though I strongly suspect that particular calculation doesn't change between scorecards.

        
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.