New Visitor
sph001

Minor or Old Issues - how to resolve and take score higher!

I recently managed my credit score from mid-600's to 726   and now want to understand how to take it higher.  I did this by reducing credit card debt.

I have three credit cards and keep nearly all the balance available. that is good.

I have two old collections - but the total is only $126   and  i have ONE old past 30 days paid on a credit card.

so what do I need to do.. to take my score higher?  Do i drop one card so i lower the amount of potential debt? should i pay off all three card so there is a zero balance?  does the old collections really hurt?  and what about that one old late payment   any way to fix that?

thanks!

stephen
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Minor or Old Issues - how to resolve and take score higher!

Send a GW for the late-

How old is the Collection?
New Visitor
sph001

what is a GW?

and - 2001/2002 on the collections. both very small     i disputed but that doesnt help much.
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

A "Good Will" letter.
Take a moment to read the 101 thread- links to sample GW letters.

sph001 wrote:
what is a GW?
and - 2001/2002 on the collections. both very small i disputed but that doesnt help much.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

If you don't have a lot of tradelines (accounts) reporting, be cautious before you try to GW a late off of a closed account. It's quite possible that not only will the late be removed, but the entire TL. If this happens, and you don't have a whole lot of history, you may well find that your score will wind up dropping instead of rising.

This is NOT common, but it does happen, and there's not a lot that you can do about it if it does.

By the way, a 726 will get you just about whatever credit access you need, assuming you have adequate income and so forth.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

sph001 wrote:
and - 2001/2002 on the collections. both very small     i disputed but that doesnt help much.

BTW -- FICO doesn't consider the actual amount of the collections.  Once a late account passes the tipping point into The Land of Collections, it's a big ding to your score.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+