Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly timing for account & inquiry AGING

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Monthly timing for account & inquiry AGING

Hello!  I have a short credit history and am looking to apply for a couple new cards soon.  In particular I am interested in applying for the PenFed card, and ideally I would like to wait until all new accounts and hard inquiries age to at least 6-12 months old so I can have the best possible score (from what I've read here it appears to be Equifax specifically that PenFed checks).

I wanted to check if these sorts of "aging" things happen at a particular time during a month, if it's always at the beginning/end of a month, or if it depends on the creditor or credit bureau.

I have two credit lines, Discover opened 2/15/08 and Capitol One opened 4/9/08.  I would like to wait until both of these would officially report as at least 6 months old.

I have some hard inquiries from 2007, the most recent being 10/17/07, that I would like like to make sure have aged to 12 months so they would no longer affect my credit score.  I also have two inquiries from 2008, the most recent being 4/8/08, which I would like to make sure have aged to 6 months.

My basic question is this - on 10/18/08 it appears that all this criteria would be true if the aging is based on actual calendar dates.  But maybe FICO scores don't actually work that way, and everything would have been aged as I liked as of 10/1/08?  Or maybe do I need to wait until 11/1/08 to be sure everything has officially aged as I'd like for FICO scoring purposes?

I do plan on checking my reports & scores on the day I end up applying for the new cards.

If anyone knows for certain, I'd appreciate it.  I could probably just wait until 11/1 to be safe but I'm feeling a little impatient - thanks VERY much for the info!

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Monthly timing for account & inquiry AGING

jacred wrote:

Thanks very much for the info!  So to check, this means that my card opened on 4/9/08 officially "hit" the 6 month mark for credit scoring on 10/1/08 rather than 10/9/08?
That's what I have always seen on my reports.

Also very good to know.  I will wait until 10/18 to pull my EQ score & report through here, but to clarify, will it be obvious how many statements have reported? 

I haven't pulled a report through MyFico before, but I'm looking at the basic annualcreditreport.com EQ report I pulled on April 20 (shortly after opening the cards) my "81 month payment history" for the Discover card had little "pays as agreed" stars under both February and March - even though on April 20 only one statement had yet posted & been paid...

Oh actually, now I'm seeing there is another spot that says "Months reviewed: 1" so possibly that tells how many statements have been reported.  So maybe to be safe I want to wait until that number is at least 6 for both cards...

Thanks muchly for your thoughts!

A few tricky things on this.

Even after six+ months of having a card, you might not see it having been reported six times. American Express is notorious for taking several months to report the existence of a new card, but when it finally does, it will show the month opened. So you may only have 5 dates listed, but it will show as being six months old.

Lenders pull the full reports from the credit bureaus. The reports that you see on myFICO (and TrueCredit, and CreditSecure, and the rest) are "secondary" reports, for lack of a better term. Payment history can display oddly on these, but still be correct on the underlying full report. As you are looking at an EQ from annualcreditreport.com, that should be the consumer version of a full report. To be sure, look under "inquiries" and see if it shows soft pulls as well as hard pulls.

There's a good chance that your balances aren't updated on the exact day of the month that you opened your account. Some do, some don't. EQ unfortunately does not display MM/DD/YYYY, only MM/YYYY. If your Discover is from Discover, as opposed to being issued by HSBC or another company, it is reporting at the close of day on your statement date. So my Discover statement date is on the 2nd (I changed it for sanity's sake), and I have seen it show up on EX on my True Credit reports on the morning of the 3rd, with a report date of the second. I don't know personally when CapOne updates, but I'm reasonably sure it is on the statement date also. The trick is that EQ rarely updates right away, usually taking 5-7 days and sometimes longer to update.

This exasperating problem of wondering if everyone has updated is why so many of us use TrueCredit and similar services that allow us to update reports daily, if we want. It keeps the neurotic streak happy. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

For FICO scoring, "birthdays" are at the first of the month, except for inqs, which stop counting on the actual date (one year later) that they hit.

As to how lenders look at it, that's completely different. PenFed being PenFed, I would hold off until the genuine anniversary (MM/DD), just to be sure. And if you like the belt-and-suspenders route, I would wait beyond that until your 6th statement had reported to EQ. Just hope that it's not one of those times that EQ is off doing Pilates, or whatever they're up to when they get pokey on updating. HTH
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:

For FICO scoring, "birthdays" are at the first of the month, except for inqs, which stop counting on the actual date (one year later) that they hit.

Thanks very much for the info!  So to check, this means that my card opened on 4/9/08 officially "hit" the 6 month mark for credit scoring on 10/1/08 rather than 10/9/08?

haulingthescoreup wrote:
As to how lenders look at it, that's completely different. PenFed being PenFed, I would hold off until the genuine anniversary (MM/DD), just to be sure. And if you like the belt-and-suspenders route, I would wait beyond that until your 6th statement had reported to EQ. Just hope that it's not one of those times that EQ is off doing Pilates, or whatever they're up to when they get pokey on updating. HTH

Also very good to know.  I will wait until 10/18 to pull my EQ score & report through here, but to clarify, will it be obvious how many statements have reported? 

I haven't pulled a report through MyFico before, but I'm looking at the basic annualcreditreport.com EQ report I pulled on April 20 (shortly after opening the cards) my "81 month payment history" for the Discover card had little "pays as agreed" stars under both February and March - even though on April 20 only one statement had yet posted & been paid...

Oh actually, now I'm seeing there is another spot that says "Months reviewed: 1" so possibly that tells how many statements have been reported.  So maybe to be safe I want to wait until that number is at least 6 for both cards...

Message Edited by jacred on 10-05-2008 09:20 AM
Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jacred wrote:

That's what I have always seen on my reports.

A few tricky things on this.

Even after six+ months of having a card, you might not see it having been reported six times. American Express is notorious for taking several months to report the existence of a new card, but when it finally does, it will show the month opened. So you may only have 5 dates listed, but it will show as being six months old.

Lenders pull the full reports from the credit bureaus. The reports that you see on myFICO (and TrueCredit, and CreditSecure, and the rest) are "secondary" reports, for lack of a better term. Payment history can display oddly on these, but still be correct on the underlying full report. As you are looking at an EQ from annualcreditreport.com, that should be the consumer version of a full report. To be sure, look under "inquiries" and see if it shows soft pulls as well as hard pulls.

There's a good chance that your balances aren't updated on the exact day of the month that you opened your account. Some do, some don't. EQ unfortunately does not display MM/DD/YYYY, only MM/YYYY. If your Discover is from Discover, as opposed to being issued by HSBC or another company, it is reporting at the close of day on your statement date. So my Discover statement date is on the 2nd (I changed it for sanity's sake), and I have seen it show up on EX on my True Credit reports on the morning of the 3rd, with a report date of the second. I don't know personally when CapOne updates, but I'm reasonably sure it is on the statement date also. The trick is that EQ rarely updates right away, usually taking 5-7 days and sometimes longer to update.

This exasperating problem of wondering if everyone has updated is why so many of us use TrueCredit and similar services that allow us to update reports daily, if we want. It keeps the neurotic streak happy. Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

TONS of good info here - thanks!!

I will plan on checking my credit score here on 10/18, since for scoring purposes, that should be accurate. 

Then if I don't see at least 6 months reporting for my two accounts, I was checking out the Equifax website and I'm thinking something like CreditWatch Gold would work to allow me to check for updates to the EQ credit report (if I am reading the info correctly).

I'm feeling a little impatient, but also nervous about the PenFed app so I don't want to take any chances if waiting a few more days would potentially improve my chances Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If the only bureau you're concerned with is EQ (for PenFed), EQ Credit Watch Gold is fantastic, especially because it's the full report with soft inquiries.

If you want to check for updates on all three, you'll do better with TrueCredit and the others. They won't display the soft inquiries, but you'll know who knows what and when. (These will give you FAKO scores, as will EQ's 3-in-1 deal. But EQ will sell you your FICO EQ. Isn't this fun? Smiley Tongue )
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
If the only bureau you're concerned with is EQ (for PenFed), EQ Credit Watch Gold is fantastic, especially because it's the full report with soft inquiries.

If you want to check for updates on all three, you'll do better with TrueCredit and the others. They won't display the soft inquiries, but you'll know who knows what and when.

Ohh good to know!  I had assumed (obviously incorrectly!) that TrueCredit only monitors TU since it's a TU product - very good to know to it does all 3!

haulingthescoreup wrote:
(These will give you FAKO scores, as will EQ's 3-in-1 deal. But EQ will sell you your FICO EQ. Isn't this fun? Smiley Tongue )
 Haha, yes.  I've read the info in the FAQ about FICO vs FAKO scores, but I'm a little confused...  if a product mentions "FICO score" by name, could it still be a FAKO score?  I could see if they called it "credit score" and people assumed it was FICO when really it wasn't, but doesn't Fair Isaac have some copyrights to the official name "FICO score"??
Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yep, if they say "FICO", it has to be a FICO.

Non-myFICO sources for FICO scores:

• Equifax website for EQ FICO
  • www.transunioncs.com (note the cs) for TU FICO
  • no joy for EX FICO; you can only get it here
  • * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    Message 8 of 9
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

haulingthescoreup wrote:
    Yep, if they say "FICO", it has to be a FICO.

Non-myFICO sources for FICO scores:

• Equifax website for EQ FICO
  • www.transunioncs.com (note the cs) for TU FICO
  • no joy for EX FICO; you can only get it here
  • Okay perfect - thanks for the clarification!

Message 9 of 9
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.