Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More accounts = better score?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

More accounts = better score?

So according to CK the more accounts you have the better? Is this true? If it is why is it true or helps?

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: More accounts = better score?

I'm not sure if it is true. ...however a credit score in general terms is a score on how you handle credit. ..so image if you had a lot of different kinds of credit that you manage in a responsible way.... you ultimately would have a higher score than someone that handles a few accounts

just my thoughts. ..not sure if I'm on point with this
Message 2 of 31
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

I think the general consensus is 3 major credit cards and an auto/home loan is optimal for scoring. I don't know if more helps or hurts..
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 3 of 31
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I only have 4 cc accounts and a mortgage and all of my scores are above 800.  I have not had a car payment in 27 years either.  My oldest,  ( closed ),  account  however is 22yrs. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 4 of 31
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Skye12329 wrote:

So according to CK the more accounts you have the better? Is this true? If it is why is it true or helps?

No one pulls CK scores except us. FICO doesn't agree with CK. Lenders pull FICO scores, so I don't care what CK says. My wife doesn't have that many accounts on reports and her FICO's are 826 and above.Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 31
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

It helps TU &  FICO sell more credit scores.  The more accounts you have the more money they make selling credit scores.

Adding more accounts will probably just lower your AAoA and lower your real score.  However, if you have a couple dozen 20 year old accounts, adding a new account or two will hardly budge your score.

Message 6 of 31
jamie123
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

More accounts = Better score? should be: More accounts = More solid score.

Having more and various types of credit is important to having a good solid score that you can trust to stand the test of time. You can reach an 800 score by having just 3 credit cards but look out if you apply for an auto loan or mortgage. By not having any installment loan history you will have a tough time getting that first auto loan or mortgage.

The thicker your file the less your score will drop when adding new credit for life's necessities like an auto loan, mortgage and new credit cards.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 7 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

CK reverse engineers the TU New Accounts Score.

Namely, those with long-established credit histories, tend to have more accounts, and likewise a higher score... so it gives a grade based on the tranch of consumers who are using the site.  There's all sorts of problems with that method of analysis, but it sounds reasonable enough.

That said FICO doesn't seem to care: minimum I would suggest is 3 open revolving and 2 open installment tradelines, and that's just fine for maxxing out the scorecard as near as we can tell.  Certainly will take you to 800+ and FICO's north of 740 are pretty irrelevant.

        
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

More accounts simply indicates that you are credit worthy.  The thing to keep your eye on is your "debt to income ratio".  You dont want to borrow so much that it appears that you are weighing yourself down with debt.  There is a breaking point where your credit will drop.  If you have opened new credit the key is to keep ahead of it.  30% of your score is based on what they call "revolving" credit.  That means Visa Cards, for instance.  Keep those balances BELOW 30% of the maximum allowed and you will see your credit go up.  What creditors, and the system wants to see is that you have "available" credit (like a Visa Card) in your pocket and you have the self control not to max it out. 

Conversely, if you CLOSE a Visa Card your credit score will go DOWN by about 30 points!  Weird right?  So keep those blanaces low and pay those bills ontime.  

Message 9 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

More accounts simply indicates that you are credit worthy.  The thing to keep your eye on is your "debt to income ratio".  You dont want to borrow so much that it appears that you are weighing yourself down with debt.  There is a breaking point where your credit will drop.  If you have opened new credit the key is to keep ahead of it.  30% of your score is based on what they call "revolving" credit.  That means Visa Cards, for instance.  Keep those balances BELOW 30% of the maximum allowed and you will see your credit go up.  What creditors, and the system wants to see is that you have "available" credit (like a Visa Card) in your pocket and you have the self control not to max it out. 

Conversely, if you CLOSE a Visa Card your credit score will go DOWN by about 30 points!  Weird right?  So keep those blanaces low and pay those bills ontime.  

Too much bad information on the Intarwebs.  I'd highly recommend spending some time here as there's a number of fallacies in your statements but quick hits:

DTI isn't factored into FICO scoring, that is a seperate calculation done in underwriting of various things, namely mortgages.

Closing a credit card has no immediate impact on one's credit score, unless it makes a non-trivial change to your utilization, or if it makes you drop below the minimum number of revolving tradelines (usually around 2, though I'd recommend to anyone to have 3 open credit cards to play reindeer games with balance reporting and FICO optimization) and a ding to the mix of credit function.  If you are not carrying much in the way of balances and you have sufficient other revolving tradelines, the impact is 10 years from the date of closure when the positive history falls off your credit report and the tradeline no longer factors into your AAOA.

There's a large amount of information used in underwriting, and there's no one size fits all for loan origination.  More accounts does not necessarily mean more creditworthy to an individual lender.

        
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.