New Visitor
Shafter

Mortgage Question

On my credit report, I have a mortgage company that reports a zero balance which is correct.  The account does not appear to be closed.  Does the payment amount showing go against my credit score.  Should I contact the mortgage company and have it removed or the credit reporting agentcies.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Mortgage Question

No, it isn't hurting. Whether reporting opened or closed, FICO still scores all $0 balance loans as closed, regardless of the reported status. The assumption is that you never can reopen a new loan without getting a new one. 

FICO also ignores the payment amount. That's not a part of FICO scoring. Under a manual review, lenders do consider it, however if the balance is $0 then the assumption is made that it is paid. My mortgage lender ignored all minimum payments on any $0 balance accounts.

I wouldn't touch that account. There's always the risk of them deleting it. And if changed it wouldn't help anything anyway.

Valued Contributor
JM-AM

Re: Mortgage Question

llecs wrote:

No, it isn't hurting. Whether reporting opened or closed, FICO still scores all $0 balance loans as closed, regardless of the reported status. The assumption is that you never can reopen a new loan without getting a new one. 

FICO also ignores the payment amount. That's not a part of FICO scoring. Under a manual review, lenders do consider it, however if the balance is $0 then the assumption is made that it is paid. My mortgage lender ignored all minimum payments on any $0 balance accounts.

I wouldn't touch that account. There's always the risk of them deleting it. And if changed it wouldn't help anything anyway.

+1

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+