Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage Question

On my credit report, I have a mortgage company that reports a zero balance which is correct.  The account does not appear to be closed.  Does the payment amount showing go against my credit score.  Should I contact the mortgage company and have it removed or the credit reporting agentcies.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Mortgage Question

No, it isn't hurting. Whether reporting opened or closed, FICO still scores all $0 balance loans as closed, regardless of the reported status. The assumption is that you never can reopen a new loan without getting a new one. 

FICO also ignores the payment amount. That's not a part of FICO scoring. Under a manual review, lenders do consider it, however if the balance is $0 then the assumption is made that it is paid. My mortgage lender ignored all minimum payments on any $0 balance accounts.

I wouldn't touch that account. There's always the risk of them deleting it. And if changed it wouldn't help anything anyway.

Message 2 of 3
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Mortgage Question

@llecs wrote:

No, it isn't hurting. Whether reporting opened or closed, FICO still scores all $0 balance loans as closed, regardless of the reported status. The assumption is that you never can reopen a new loan without getting a new one. 

FICO also ignores the payment amount. That's not a part of FICO scoring. Under a manual review, lenders do consider it, however if the balance is $0 then the assumption is made that it is paid. My mortgage lender ignored all minimum payments on any $0 balance accounts.

I wouldn't touch that account. There's always the risk of them deleting it. And if changed it wouldn't help anything anyway.

+1

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.