cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage loan increasing FICO 200 pts????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mortgage loan increasing FICO 200 pts????

My husband and I just bought our first house through my VA eligibility. I heard that a mortgage on your credit can raise a FICO score up to 200 points. Is that true? And also how long does it take for it to show up on your credit report?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Mortgage loan increasing FICO 200 pts????

@Anonymous wrote:
My husband and I just bought our first house through my VA eligibility. I heard that a mortgage on your credit can raise a FICO score up to 200 points. Is that true? And also how long does it take for it to show up on your credit report?

Not sure where you heard that, but no account will raise your FICO score by 200 points.     If you don't have any previous installment loans on your credit report then it will help with your mix of credit, but any new account ( including mortgages ) added to your reports will also lower your average age of accounts ( AAoA ).

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

It is also a new debt with nothing paid off on it.This means too much owed versus original loan amount for FICO purposes.  It is at least one new inq on your report.  It will most likely rebucket you and score you with "people with a mortgage" versus "people without a mortgage".  This will either help or hurt your FICO depending on the rest of your credit report data. The 200 points is probably not even in the right ballpark though.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 3 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone who says X will increase your score X number of points knows nothing about FICO scoring Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.