Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Negative Bucket 2 to Negative Bucket 1

tag
doctort
Valued Member

Moving from Negative Bucket 2 to Negative Bucket 1

As I move from Negative Bucket #2 Public Record and One or more serious derogs to Negative Bucket #1 One or more serious derogs.  Should I expect a scoring decrease or increase.  I have a judgment that will be deleted when court order is updated by CRA.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Moving from Negative Bucket 2 to Negative Bucket 1

Well, if I were a betting girl, I'd predict a rise in your scores. BUT, being rebucketed is very tricky stuff to guess at. How old is/are your serious derogs that will be left? Are they paid/unpaid? When was the DoLA?

It's *possible* too that your cleaner (minus a public record) reports will compare less favorably to others who are in a dirty scoring bucket for derogs w/o a public record. There's no way to know for sure until that PR drops. But, I'm putting my imaginary FICO money on a score rise all the same. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 12
doctort
Valued Member

I'm operating under this understanding of negative buckets.

BUCKET #1:  EITHER one or more serious derogs OR one or more public records

BUCKET #2BOTH one or more serious derogs AND one or more public records  (Presumably worst)

SERIOUS DEROG = CA, CO 60 day less than 2 years old, 90-, 120-day of any age, CO, collection
PUBLIC RECORD = Bankruptcy,  Judgment, tax lien, etc

After deletion of judgment credit picture will look like this:

1) Three accounts that are PIF and closed but reporting 60+ days late.

2)  Collection Accounts (8)

3)  Chargeoff (1)

Assuming the deletion of the judgment moves me to bucket #1, one or more serious derogs, would you still predict increase?

Message 3 of 12
doctort
Valued Member

Don't know if I was rebucketed but since original post, I have 1 judgment deleted, and 4 collections deleted.  Score  on 3/21/10 was 535, score today 587.

Plus 52 points.  I'm feeling real good now since this journey started in the low 400s.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Beautiful, congratulations!!!

Message 5 of 12
Macroman
Regular Contributor

What is important is that in your new bucket your potential score is higher. It's very possible to have a short term score drop in the new bucket but if your credit picture is getting better overall the score will improve much faster in the new bucket. 

Each bucket has a score range that is possible within it. Most people when they get rebucketed to a better bucket are near the max in the old bucket. Sometimes you need to take a step back before taking two forward.

Message 6 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont know of the source of the clear distinction you have offered as to a so-called "bucket 1" or "bucket 2", but I am aware of no such clear distinction.  I think one is an indent under the other, and not a distinct "bucket."

In my understanding of credit algorithm "bucketing," the presence of any major derog places you into a first major branch of so-called bucketing, commonly referred to as a "dirty credit file."    How many, and how severe they are, is then a sub-branch of the dirty file category.  Then there are additional branches on each that look at the additional affects of other major considerations, such as % util and length of credit.

I think the two different "buckets" you have identified are really one major bucket (any maj derogs), and a sub-branch under that of their number and severity.

If you have no major derogs, that will probably place you on an intitial, major branch of the logic tree commonly referred to as a "clean" credit file.  Under this branch, and its sub-branches, the impact of other factors, such as minor derogs,  % util, or lenght of credti, may be given totally different weithts than those applied when scored under a "dirty" file.  It is just not possible to prectict, in any simplified way, the affect of the change in one item on your CR on which scoring algorithm will be used to calculate your score, and even more impossible to predict the effects of each of the scoring factors in your total score.

While the term "bucketing" is commonly used to describe credit scoring, that is probably misleading terminology.  FICO uses a logic tree to determine which of its appox 12 scoring algorithms will be used to produce your score.  Some factors in your CR, such as major derogs of high util, may have more impact on determining which major branch of the tree you will be scored under, but in the end, when you move down the tree, all FICO factors ultimately enter into which algorithm, or "scorng bucket," will be used to produce your score.

Message 7 of 12
doctort
Valued Member

Please enlighten on what you believe to be the approximate 12 scoring algorithms.

Message 8 of 12
Regular Contributor

Today, one out of four collection accounts was removed from my reports and I received a 9 point increase on EQ as a result.  Went from 632 to 641.  This suprised me because I thought I would have to go under 2 collections to see a new "bucket"

MyFico's:
June 09: TU 591, EQ 526, EX 576
June 10: TU 647 EQ 643, EX 661
March 12: TU 700 EQ 700
Message 9 of 12
doctort
Valued Member

Congrats on the points increase.  EQ is currently my high score.  I had 4 remaining, pending PFD on 2.  Got alert from Experian today that they deleted my last 2 collections.  So hopefully those 2 have been deleted from EQ.  SW kinda slow on this one.

Robert --

This is my current understanding of buckets from researching this site.  Please educate so we all will have a working knowledge.

Negative Buckets (2) - Mentioned in OP.

POSITIVE BUCKETS

 under 2 years;

 2 - under 5 years;

 5 - under 8;

 8 - under 12 (under 13?);

 12 (13?) - under 19;

 19 years +.

 Then maybe one for thin files?  And maybe another for more than X new accounts within the last year???

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.