Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My CK TU Score went down for PIF?

tag
wilmer007
Contributor

My CK TU Score went down for PIF?

i had a $2,400 balance on one of my credit cards (less than 10% ultilization) that was PIF and when the 7th day came and the score refreshed CK shows my TU score dropped 18 points down to 738 (i know this ain't the real FICO score but it lets me see changes ASAP).

nothing else changed.

i always make 2-4 payments a month on all my credit cards and every payment is to pay the current balance so my credit reports are always showing very low ultilizations (1%-2%) and the scores keep going up but not this time. how does this make any sense?

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My CK TU Score went down for PIF?

Was the card that you paid off your only card?

Under FICO scoring models reporting all zero balances results in a score drop.  This may also be the case with the VS 3.0 model as well, which CK uses, although I'm not certain about that.  To maximize your scores under the FICO model you always want to have just 1 of your cards report a small balance.  $5-$10 will suffice, or up to 8.99% of the credit limit of one of your cards. 

Message 2 of 9
wilmer007
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Under FICO scoring models reporting all zero balances results in a score drop.  This may also be the case with the VS 3.0 model as well, which CK uses, although I'm not certain about that.  To maximize your scores under the FICO model you always want to have just 1 of your cards report a small balance.  $5-$10 will suffice, or up to 8.99% of the credit limit of one of your cards. 

i was under the impression that having a zero balance was better. i would usually make sure that around the middle of the month i would have all my cards paid off. but it looks like i'll just have to let the utilization reach about 1% ($250) and then at the start of the month pay off the rest of the balance to avoid any interest.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally speaking you are correct that less reported debt is better.  The only exception is NO reported balances, as without showing any revolving utilization FICO scoring models see you as not using your revolving credit and therefore can't give you credit for managing it responsibly.  You don't have to pay a penny of interest.  As long as you pay your statement balances in full you're going to be fine in this department, just let one card report a tiny balance of around $5-$10 and your scores will be about 20 points higher than if you allowed all zero balances to report.

Message 4 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Either my HELOC counts as a revolving balance on VS 3, or it doesn't care about all zeros.

During my recent all zero's test, with just the HELOC reporting, my EX and EQ VS 3 scores have never been higher: they both hit 803.

        
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting.  Maybe I'll try all zeros in the near future and see what happens to my Vantage scores.  I know on my profile my FICO 08's all drop by 16-22 points, but I don't recall checking any of my VS 3.0s the last time I did this.

Message 6 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@wilmer007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i was under the impression that having a zero balance was better. i would usually make sure that around the middle of the month i would have all my cards paid off. but it looks like i'll just have to let the utilization reach about 1% ($250) and then at the start of the month pay off the rest of the balance to avoid any interest.

If the five cards are your entire portfolio, three of those are Chase and those will update the zero immediately when paid to zero, no carry-on reporting of a statement balance until the next statement if it goes to zero in the interim. Just food for thought.

So if you want to ensure that some sort of balance is in the credti bureaus at all times for scoring, either the Chase cards need to always have new charges before you finish paying off the statement balance, or the AMEX or BofA need to have reported a balance... and the timing of that to the next statement has to cover your Chase cards going to zero.

With FICO scores in the 780-818 range, what is the impact if the cards report balances naturally?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 9
wilmer007
Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@wilmer007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the five cards are your entire portfolio, three of those are Chase and those will update the zero immediately when paid to zero, no carry-on reporting of a statement balance until the next statement if it goes to zero in the interim. Just food for thought.

So if you want to ensure that some sort of balance is in the credti bureaus at all times for scoring, either the Chase cards need to always have new charges before you finish paying off the statement balance, or the AMEX or BofA need to have reported a balance... and the timing of that to the next statement has to cover your Chase cards going to zero.

With FICO scores in the 780-818 range, what is the impact if the cards report balances naturally?

the CSP got approved yesterday (i plan to PC it to the Freedom once i get the 50k UR bonus) so it will take a month to show up. anyways i'll be keeping a few bucks here and then so it will report. now with the CSP i don't have to worry about the ultilzation as much.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I grabbed the CSP myself last week for the sign on bonus and have full intentions of downgrading to the Freedom as well at some point.  From a few threads I've read and/or started though, it's been recommended by quite a few people to keep the CSP a bit longer than the 3 months it takes to get the bonus.  Most recommended at least 6 months all the way up to just before the AF would hit at 1 year before doing the PC downgrade.  I guess Chase has been known to take AA against those that grab the CSP bonus and bail on the product, so just to eliminate the potential for that happening I think I'm going to hold on to the CSP at least until the end of the year.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.