Did you mean: 

My Credit Score Went Up?!?! What?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Score Went Up?!?! What?

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I use myFICO as my Credit Monitoring and there is a posting when I maxed my card out a few weeks ago. I actually "over-maxed" it because of an interest charge so I was at 102% util on my card. 

But my score shot up 16 points because of it.. 

What?  Can someone explain why this happened?
I've already paid the card down below the 100% mark, but why would over-maxing my card make my score go up? 

OP, your score is in the low 600's, which implies you have some baddies.

Because you have negatives on your report, normal behavior of FICO scores is suspended.

There is probably some favorable change in those negatives, either aging or bits dropping off, that is contributing to some positive move in your score. As pointed out by LTL, however, things dropping off or aging, by themselves, do not trigger a score update. This card reporting, overlimit or within the limit, prompted the score update.

FWIW, this is a legitimate score increase, so you are on the right path in general. Do try to pay down the balances to continue helping your score.

Good luck!

Well I had 8 Collections. (Had 6 Removed, (Thanks to Goodwill letters!) 2 paid off but refuse to remove, and 1 that is owed to Sprint but they refuse to Pay for Delete and they dont' want to take payments) 
so I have 3 collection accounts sitting on my trade lines I believe. 

Message 11 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: My Credit Score Went Up?!?! What?

@Anonymous wrote:

I use myFICO as my Credit Monitoring and there is a posting when I maxed my card out a few weeks ago. I actually "over-maxed" it because of an interest charge so I was at 102% util on my card. 

But my score shot up 16 points because of it.. 

What?  Can someone explain why this happened?
I've already paid the card down below the 100% mark, but why would over-maxing my card make my score go up? 

There's often no causal connection between the information in the alert and the score change noted in the alert.

In this case I'm certain there was no causal connection.

Maxing out a card will severely lower your score, not increase it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.