Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Debt Utilization down to 3%, score still unchanged

tag
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

My Debt Utilization down to 3%, score still unchanged

Ok, so what gives?  I've been following the "rules" for rebuilding my credit.  I went from a 480 from last September 2011 to a current 651 as of March 1, 2012. I've been paying down debt since about February and now my debts are all paid off.  One card has yet to update so my DU is at 3%, yet my score STILL hasn't gone up since March.  What's the deal? I thought debt utilization was 30% of your score.  Surely paying off $7k and a DU rate of 70%, now down to 3% would have made my score go up.  This is so frustrating.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: My Debt Utilization down to 3%, score still unchanged

What are you using to track your score?  What is your reported utilization, versus what it was in March?  Is that when you had the 70% reported util?  Everybody's situation is different.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@thrasher865 wrote:

What are you using to track your score?  What is your reported utilization, versus what it was in March?  Is that when you had the 70% reported util?  Everybody's situation is different.

+1 and I'll add, do you have any baddies reporting? If you are looking at myFICO reports, is utilization listed as a negative in the pos/neg items on pages 2&3?

Message 3 of 6
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Going from 75% utilization down to 7% back and forth, changes my score no more than 3 points......

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

What are the items listed on your FICO report that are negatively affecting your score?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember the largest percentage of your score is on time payments.  Every other factor has a smaller impact.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.