cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FICO score went up 20 points November and then dropped 20 in January. What gives?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My FICO score went up 20 points November and then dropped 20 in January. What gives?

@Anonymous wrote:

Could it be possible that paying off my credit card before the monthly report, leaving a $0.00 balance with a 0% credit utilization could be harming my credit score growth?

When you have only 1 credit card, that's exactly what happens.  You are seeing a penalty for "no revolving credit usage" since without a balance reported the algorithm doesn't know that you're using your credit card. 

Bringing your utilization (reported) up to 10% would harm your score over letting a 1%-8.9% balance report.  Most report no changes along that 1%-8.9% range, although a couple of people have cited that perhaps 4%-6% is their "sweet spot" where they may have gained 1-2 points over a different percentage in the 1%-8.9% range.  I've never experienced that, though. 

Message 11 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: My FICO score went up 20 points November and then dropped 20 in January. What gives?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Could it be possible that paying off my credit card before the monthly report, leaving a $0.00 balance with a 0% credit utilization could be harming my credit score growth?

…although a couple of people have cited that perhaps 4%-6% is their "sweet spot" where they may have gained 1-2 points over a different percentage in the 1%-8.9% range.  I've never experienced that, though. 

I've never had an issue with tiny balances, e.g. under $20. But I've lost points for going over about 5%. I have to qualify that by saying "about 5%" because I'm not exactly sure where the breakpoint was when that happened.

Message 12 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to increase your score, you should consider adding 2 more credit cards.

Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't applying for two more credit cards hurt my credit score though?

Message 14 of 32
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes indeed it will. So don't.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Short term yes, medium term probably even, long term it would help a little.

Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm. It might not be a good idea for me. I am trying to buy a car next month. I need to get my score as high as I possibly can.

Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely do not apply for anything else prior to going for your car loan.

Message 18 of 32
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Definitely don't apply for any other new credit when you're about to apply for a loan. Besides the fact that you won't know exactly what will happen to your score, lenders don't like it when they see that you've recently applied for or added credit.

That said, adding two cards when the timing is right is a good idea.

Message 19 of 32
Gmood1
Super Contributor

With decent scores and payment history it doesn't make an ounce of difference applying for a Auto loan after a CC. This from experience,.not from what's posted on the internet.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.