cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Score dropped 25 points due to one inquiry and a new amex card...

tag
adozark
Established Member

My Score dropped 25 points due to one inquiry and a new amex card...

I'm using the myFico Scorewatch and the past week things have changed pretty quickly.

My score dropped by 11 points on 3/10 from an inquiry and then dropped another 14 points on 3/14 because my BCP just showed up on my file.

I"m a little frustrated that the smallest of changes have taken my score from 740 to 715 in a week, that's crazy. I feel like I have no idea how to better my score if I can't even understand why I lost so many points over what seem to be small things. 

To make matters worse it shows my new amex as having a balance of $75 (which is the AF which amex so kindly charged at the last minute before the bill cut) and no amount for the limit (which is 1k)   so it shows as 100% utilized. 

So my questions are:

A) Is the inquiry really the reason for the 11 point drop? I thought it was supposed to only cause up a 5 point drop? 

B) Why would my Amex show up with no limit amount, that seems odd.  The actual claim for my score going down when the card posted was "Too many cards with balances". 

Thank you in advace for your help, you guys provide a lot of great advice and fico guidance.

Starting Score: EQ: 657
Current Score: EQ: 740 3/05/14 TU: 721 2/08/14 EX FAKO: 763 3/05/14
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Barclay (Apple) $4k -- Chase Freedom $7k -- Chase Slate 4k -- GE Banana Republic $3k -- GE Care Credit $9k -- BCP $1k -- UFCU 6k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: My Score dropped 25 points due to one inquiry and a new amex card...

For all situations of this type, there may be issues with reporting lags.

Given this, along with the information you provided, it's hard for another person to say whether it's just a new inquiry or account that is hurting you.

Beyond this consideration, it needs to be said that there's not a magic point value that is deducted for a new inquiry or account.  It depends heavily on your situation.

For example, I have a relatively thick file and good scores, and I lost around 10 points for my last inquiry + new account.  For someone in a different situation, the impact may be greater.

If you search this forum for terms like "buckets" and "score cards", you can get an idea of how FICO scoring puts people into various groups, and how that drives the scoring of specific events.

Another example of this is that a person with a very high score will get hit really hard if a derogatory shows up.

Message 2 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Those with higher scores are impacted worse for things than those with a lower score.  So 11 points for an inquiry would be normal.  I have seen those with scores over 740 lose 30 points for an inquiry.

Message 3 of 10
adozark
Established Member

Well thank you , I will definitely look into those, thank you for pointing me in a direction to at least better understand my scoring. I understand that in the end the algorithm is unknown. I just felt a little overwhelmed that I was doing good and then before I knew it my score fell all those points. 

When I have gotten my score from creditors it is usually ~ 30 points below the myFico so I have been working to get it in the high 700's so that I would not have to worry about the differences I would always be in the mid-700's at worse. 

Barclay (Apple) $4k -- Chase Freedom $7k -- Chase Slate 4k -- GE Banana Republic $3k -- GE Care Credit $9k -- BCP $1k -- UFCU 6k
Message 4 of 10
adozark
Established Member

@guiness56 wrote:

Those with higher scores are impacted worse for things than those with a lower score.  So 11 points for an inquiry would be normal.  I have seen those with scores over 740 lose 30 points for an inquiry.

Wow, I would be furious if I lost 30 points for an inquiry. lol 

Message 5 of 10
YahComb
Established Contributor

how old is your account history?

some of the conventional wisdom is a bit different with very young (less than 2 year history) accounts. I can tell you, my score rose with a zero balance back in the early days, i didn't experience the 6-month age inquiry  score rebound, and the difference between a 3rd and 4th inquiry less than 12 months was 16 points-(this was with a score in the 700-720 range) .

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 6 of 10
adozark
Established Member

@YahComb wrote:

how old is your account history?

some of the conventional wisdom is a bit different with very young (less than 2 year history) accounts. I can tell you, my score rose with a zero balance back in the early days, i didn't experience the 6-month age inquiry  score rebound, and the difference between a 3rd and 4th inquiry less than 12 months was 16 points-(this was with a score in the 700-720 range) .

My AAoA is 4 years. 

Message 7 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I have also noticed that if you have 0 or a very small amount of inquries over the last year, 1 new inq will cause a lot more damaage than if your report was riddled with inqs.  And it certainly affects higher scores more significantly than lower ones.

I wouldn't worry about it though.  You will start gaining the points back as the new account ages.  Its part of the game.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 10
adozark
Established Member

@DaveSignal wrote:

I have also noticed that if you have 0 or a very small amount of inquries over the last year, 1 new inq will cause a lot more damaage than if your report was riddled with inqs.  And it certainly affects higher scores more significantly than lower ones.

I wouldn't worry about it though.  You will start gaining the points back as the new account ages.  Its part of the game.

Thanks. Yeah I saw on another thread that some think that past 4-5 years AAoA the age isn't that important. I'm at 4 years with the new card so I"m glad since that is the hardest thing to change (since you can only wait. lol)  

Again thank you guys, I am very grateful for your advice while I am learning the FICO game. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@adozark wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

Thanks. Yeah I saw on another thread that some think that past 4-5 years AAoA the age isn't that important. I'm at 4 years with the new card so I"m glad since that is the hardest thing to change (since you can only wait. lol)  

Again thank you guys, I am very grateful for your advice while I am learning the FICO game. Smiley Happy

There's diminishing returns all over the FICO model: as a result, your first inquiry is a far harsher penalty than your 5th, let alone your 10th or 20th.  Works the same way with tax liens at least under the '98 and '04 models from personal anecdotal experience ('08 is a little different as it appears to weight recent history far more heavily), and presumably most other derogatory information as well (collections, lates, etc.).

There's similar break points for AAoA: the most important one is 2 years (as anything underneath that is scored as one year); I've been one of the folks pontificating that 4+ as mostly irrelevant (minor increases beyond that, especially knowing 760 is as good as anyone's score needs to be rationally) but it's probably at 5+ from more recent anecdotal reports I've seen.  Anything beyond that will be less of a positive boost, much like additional inquiries are less of a negative one.  

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.