Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Score dropped 60 points in 30 days

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Score dropped 60 points in 30 days

In the process of applyying for a FHA loan, and going through the final stages of underwriting my FICO dropped below the FHA limit of 620.  My credit card balances

were at 79% of credit limit.  The underwriter suspended my loan file, until futher notice,

ie my scores rebound above 620.  My Equifax score went from 659 to 605, TU 723 to 

680, Experian 654 to 580.  These scores drops are criminal in my book, when it was only a matter of approximately 6000 of credit card usage.  No late payments, just utilizing the credit I had available to me.  DONT MAKE THIS MISTAKE.

My broker is in the process of doing what is called a Rapid Rescore, which is basically you pay the credit account off, or down to say $5 to keep it open.  Then forward the Rapid Rescore vendor a snapshot of the update account showing you've paid it down to the current balance of $5.  The vendor calls the credit bureau, and presents documentation that you have paid the vendor, and the present balance is $5.  Then 

the credit bureau will recalculate your FICO score based on the new debt to credit

ratio. This generally takes about 48 to perform the Rapid Rescore.  

Hopefully, in a week my loan will be back in underwriting, and I can move forward, but 

don't make this mistake.  Don't use credit if your in the process of buying a house, 

or close to settlement day.  Because the underwriter will run a final credit report 

just prior to closing day.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: My Score dropped 60 points in 30 days

Welcome to the forums!

As you have found out in a rather inconvenient way, CC utilization is a big factor in FICO scoring.  For the highest scores, it's best to keep utilization at 9% or lower.  You should read through the Credit Scoring 101 and Characteristics of FICO High Achievers threads for more info on credit scoring. 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Score dropped 60 points in 30 days

Good you found this forum.

Yes, credit card utilization is the fastest way to change your score besides a new delinquency.

You should have been advised by the person handling your original application(assuming they wanted to get you the best int rate) to pay down your utilization as much as poosible before getting the home loan. If you paid down 6,000 in CC debt the improvement in FICO score will pay off many times over on the interest rate on a 30yr home loan. A 79% utilization to say 10% will probably be like 50 or more  pts on FICO which is a minimum 1% difference in the home loan interest rate and over 30 years that's alot of money.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.