cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My balance drops and so does my score? **bleep**????

tag
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

My balance drops and so does my score? **bleep**????

The balance on one of your accounts has decreased by $200

and my score drops 7 points??? 

Please explain THAT one to me.
Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My balance drops and so does my score? **bleep**????

The balance drop and the score drop are not related.

Alerts received just let you know that something changed on your credit report.  The score change is not tied to that, although you will receive a new score when you receive an alert.

The only time you'll see a score drop from paying down a balance is if have only 1 non-zero balance and you pay it to $0 and it reports.  Then you're showing "no revolving credit use" and get hit usually to the tune of 14-22 points.  7 points does not fall into this range, so from that piece of data I know you did not pay your only $200 balance to $0.

Message 2 of 5
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Ah ok...thanks for the calirification...I wish they were better about telling you why it dropped then, very confusing.

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kxkxkxxAh ok...thanks for the calirification...I wish they were better about telling you why it dropped then, very confusing.

I agree 100%.  Your feelings on this and concern are voiced by many on here and it would be nice if better clarification were disclosed to those with memberships.

In order to determine what changed to result in the score drop, you'd have to look at your reports account by account both before and after the change.  For a 7 point loss, my guess would be something else changed balance-related.

For example, you could have 3 credit cards, all with $2000 limits.  Two of them have $0 balances, where the third had a balance of $500 that you paid down to $300, resulting in that $200 paydown alert.  At a $500 balance, you were at 25% utilization on the card.  Taking that balance down to $300 drops you to 15% utilization.  Since a threshold doesn't exist between those two percentages, you could not gain any points due to that $200 paydown. 

However, recently you may have bought a cup of coffee and a donut a week or two back on one of your $0 cards, bringing your balance to $4 on the card.  If that creditor did their monthly reporting and reported a $4 balance (up from $0) you may have not received an alert from it.  You would have increased your "number of cards with balances" from 1 of 3 to 2 of 3 though, going from 33% of cards to 67% of cards with a balance.  This change could have resulted in a 7 point drop.  You'd get those 7 points back next month if you paid off that $4 balance and it reported as $0 again.

This is just one example, but hopefully makes sense.

Message 4 of 5
kxkxkxx
Regular Contributor

Makes total sense. Thank you for taking the time to explain.....just when I thought I knew it all. Smiley Happy

Current FICO 8 Scores
EQ 759
TU 748
EX 744
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.