Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My brain hurts

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

My brain hurts

Plz help me figure something out - my student loan is thru Directloan and they re-reported.  used to be just one, now it's three.  It seems I got some pointage for this.

The two new ones were backdated to 8/2009.

So how can adding accounts HELP AAoA, even though they backdated?

I don't understand the math of it.  I've been puzzling over it and puzzling my poor little brain to death.  Another poster over in the student loan section also got some points.

Thanks in advance.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My brain hurts

@Booner72 wrote:

Plz help me figure something out - my student loan is thru Directloan and they re-reported.  used to be just one, now it's three.  It seems I got some pointage for this.

I don't understand the math of it.  I've been puzzling over it and puzzling my poor little brain to death.  Another poster over in the student loan section also got some points.

Thanks in advance.

So you went from one 1999 account to three 1999 accounts, right?  Say you also have two 2005 accounts and two 2010 accounts.

With one 1999 account your AAOA would be 12+7+7+1+1 = 28/5 = 5.6*12 = 67.2 months

With three 1999 accounts, your AAOA would be 12+12+12+7+7+1+1= 52/7 = 7.4*12 = 89 months.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully I wont screw this up, but here's the way I calculate AAoA's......

Just using the two accounts you listed as opened 8/2009........

Each account is 28 months old X 2= 56 months between the two, now divide 56 by 2 (number of accounts) = 28 then divide that by 12= 2,3

So 2.3 is the AAoA's for just these two accounts. So if these were the only two TL's listed on your report your AAoA's would be 2.3 (but Fico rounds down AAoA's so in all actuality your AAoA's would be 2 yrs.

I just woke up and am still on my first cup of coffe so hopefully I didn't screw that up, if I did I apoligize.

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys - so it adds more total months to be divided by total accounts?  But in this case, I added both total  months AND total accounts, so that's why I just don't get it.

Just glad it helped not hurt.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

Thanks guys - so it adds more total months to be divided by total accounts?  But in this case, I added both total  months AND total accounts, so that's why I just don't get it.

The more TL's you have the less backdating will help, because you have to divide the total number of months of all TL's by the number of TL's you have, then divide that by 12 (for months)

So if you had say, 3 AmEx cards backdated to 2000 and had 15 total TL's on your report, you would not see as big of an AAoA's jump as you would if you only had 6 TL's.

But no matter what, backdating always helps, no matter how many TL's you have, it just helps more when you have less TL's.

I hope that makes any sense/

Message 5 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Booner72 wrote:

The easy way to think of it is that if an added account is older than your current AAoA, it will increase your AAoA. If there are two additional accounts added, as in your case (you went from 1 SL to 3 SL's), it increases it even more.

If it's newer/ younger than your current AAoA, it will drop it.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

According to MYFICO my AAoA is 4 yrs 10 months.

The student loans opened August, 2009.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.