cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My brother ran up a bill in my name and the credit agency is coming after me ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My brother ran up a bill in my name and the credit agency is coming after me ?

thick wrote:
Now What?

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, DV it and right away.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My brother ran up a bill in my name and the credit agency is coming after me ?

Why not report him to the police and have him arrested for fraud?  I know it's your brother, but he didn't care about your brotherhood when he stole your information now did he? 

Look what a mess he has created.  I bet if you gave him 30 days to get hte cash and pay it off---or go to jail---he would start delivering pizzas or waiting tables pretty quick to raise the $$$$ needed. 

Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

bobkelly wrote:
Why not report him to the police and have him arrested for fraud?

Not germane to the immediate issue of the debt which doesn't belong to the OP.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that it needs to be repeated, but don't pay it. As stated, a paid collection is still a collection, so a short term goal to pay it off is of little benefit in terms of credit reporting. Although if you're trying to buy a house I understand why you need to eliminate any open collections. But look at it this way. If you pay it, it will not update to the bureaus for several weeks at best, maybe months. I have paid collections that are 6 months old that still don't report properly! You can get faster and more favorable results by disputing. To engage a utility company for services, you have to sign something. You didn't. They can't verify or validate, thus it should come off.
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.